Light Info Record fields

Hello,

After 2 hours of searching how to sum my projectors weight and wattage in a worksheet, I finally find that it wasn't possible with those original databases 'Light Info Record' and 'Light Info Record M' ! The issue is that weight and wattage are text fields ! So I change them to number fields and then I'm able to sum weight and wattage in a worksheet !

But then, there is another problem : when you change fields from "text" to "number" you have to put a default value, and then, all youy projectors loose their weight and wattage ! Then you had to manually update every projector's weight and wattage!

It will be convenient to fix those kinds of fields in "number" instead of "text" no? I know that users could do mistake by filling fields with multiple units (kg, lb, g, t, ...W, kW, ....) but it could be mentioned weight in kg and wattage in W by exemple. For exemple, lenght in 'truss record' are always in mm, and when you know that, there is no problem.

Fields that I change to be able to sum weight in my worksheets :

1486590377_calculsommepoids-wattprojecteurpasserbddenchampnombre1.thumb.png.eecb55f033a86e94dce4a5f7779a6b2d.png774183267_calculsommepoids-wattprojecteurpasserbddenchampnombre2.thumb.png.af07446cc4538b089ba977679106f219.png1611165732_Capturedcran2019-02-0614_46_34.thumb.png.d268b0266c7630ba91b23449a2963e48.png

@Rob Books thanks Rob. Effectively, if I set numbers to 'dimensions', worksheet display the lenght unit of the file (cm, mm, m, inch...). So I had to set it to 'general' as you said, and add suffix 'kg' and 'W'.

But there still remain a problem : if I put another projector and I erase 'Light Info Record' when importing this new projector, so this database has agin 'weight' and 'wattage' in text fields.

Is there a chance to corrige that in future upgrade?

David -

I'd strongly caution you against changing the field formats in the "__VS-RecModData" Record. as you're going to end up with calculation problems when using projectors formatted in different units conventions.  (This is why the fields are Text fields - including Dimensions.)

For getting a usable number out of a Text field, you might look into using a format like "=VALUE('VS4-Projection'.'Wattage')."

Also, have you investigated using a Worksheet formula that ignores the last 3 characters ("_kg") of the Weight field?