Cloud misbehaving?

markaj

Question

So - after a days work, I publish to PDF (18 sheet layers) & email to client, save (to VW cloud services folder on my PC), hit the 'status' & 'sync files' on the cloud services drop down, let them do their thing & go to bed.

Next day when I open VW the drawing has reverted to an old version - ie I've lost a days work. I cant get the work I've done back from anywhere it seems!

What did I do wrong? apart from keeping 2 copies of everything. At least I have a PDF copy............

Its always worked in the past, but for some reason it seems to have backdated the VW file rather than updated it. BTW the time & date modified is correct on the file info.

Any ideas??

6 answers to this question

What I dont understand, is I have two files next to each other in my cloud services folder, the VW version & the PDF version, time & date last saved within a couple of minutes of each other, but the PDF is upto date & what it should be but the VW version has gone back to an old version from a couple of days ago!.........

Right - i'd better get on with the redrawing.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Sorry to hear that the cloud is causing such problems. I'll investigate the logs further and post an update here. It would help if you post the file names or send them by email. 

In the mean time you should be able to view/download/restore previous versions of your files, so your work is most probably not lost! 

In order to do this, login to the cloud portal from here: https://cloud.vectorworks.net/portal/files/home/, navigate to the file you'd like to revert/view previous versions/etc., click on the file to open it. Then use the image.png icon located on top right corner of the screen that will open a panel with list of previous versions. Select any version you'd like to view (PDF files will be opened, VW files can be only downloaded/restored). Use image.png icon to download a selected version of the file. Please let us know if this helped. 

Here's a link to the help article describing how to work with previous versions:

https://cloud.vectorworks.net/portal/help/pages/view-and-restore-earlier-versions-of-files/?app=WEB#

Hi Lyuben, Thanks for the speedy response!

Unfortunately the cloud portal gives the old version of the VW file, yet the pdf is up to date.

If you can access my cloud portal, the files are FIORE bootrooms RevA.vwx & FIORE bootrooms RevA.pdf. The PDF being up to date & the VW about 3 days old!

Its as if I've had autosave turned off (which it isnt!)

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark,

Hopefully we have figured it out. Is there a chance you are looking at the wrong file? 

Going over the logs, we found 3 files with such name:

FIORE/FIORE bootrooms revA.vwx    - Deleted (you can find it in Trash)

FIORE/Fiore WIP/FIORE bootrooms revA.vwx - This one has 2 versions  last updated on Feb 3 at 21:56

FIORE/FIORE WIP/FIORE bootrooms revA.vwx - This one has 7 versions last updated on Feb 4 at 23:22 

I'm not sure why the paths are the same with just capital letters as a difference in the folder name, but you can view/download/restore any of these 3 files and their versions.

This is the main source of confusion and the desktop app might be overwriting the file with capitals with the file from 'Fiore WIP'. Anyways in the future you can try to avoid using the same folder names with just difference in capital letters. This is not supported on Windows and Mac.

Please let me know if this helped. Are you using the desktop application on different machines?

Thank you,

Lyuben

• Like 1

Hi Lyuben - Ahah,

Well the one I would want is the bottom of the list, updated Feb 4th - and it is the second to last version, so - enormous sigh of relief!!

There does seem to be two folders one in capitals & the other not - this is a mistake as yes, I'm using this on a PC and a Mac simultaneously, so this is probably where this happened.

That would make sense - but why should that folder over write the other? Anyway lesson learnt!

I'm still getting to grips with the cloud, mostly it seems to work for me. I think the FAQs pages have improved a bit, so will study them.

Anyway many thanks again - panic over!

Mark

Really glad to hear you were able to recover your work! Basically folders and files differentiating only by lower/upper case are not supported by the operating system for both Win and Mac. It is a long story, but the bottom line is to avoid when possible.