Nomad fubar

jnr

Question

Not sure where to post this, but this app needs to be overhauled. 

I can't get models to work in AR on a 2017 iPad Pro (two different files, same results).  Tried generating them on my hard drive (iMac pro), on Vectorworks cloud (which makes an even bigger file). Either it freezes and locks up or opens but leaves out layers (like floors of a building). No wonder it gets a 1.4 rating out of 5 on the App Store. It simply doesn't work.

Navigation in 3d is weird and difficult. Turn on walk thru walls and you get stuck inside the wall. 

Last Nomad update was 2 months ago. 6.4

iOS 12.1.3 

4 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi,

I'm sorry about your experience. We have been getting reports of issues with the AR viewer using certain iOS devices and newer versions of iOS and we are investigating any workarounds. Since we have not updated the app recently it seems an update from Apple may have caused this.

For the 3D navigation bug, are you using the browser based WebView?

Thanks,

Alex

Alex:

yes. as far back as I can recall, walking thru any wall (web based or nomad), with walk thru walls turned on, you get stuck in the wall and can get out using walkthrough tool. if you spin it however, you can usually get unstuck from the wall. 

Saw that you all are beta testing a patch for AR.  When do you expect to release a nomad update on the App Store?

-J

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

For the first issue, we have two different 3D viewers. The Nomad app viewer does not support true VR mode, so the walkthrough goes through walls by default (and any other object).  The WebView browser viewer does support VR. Are you saying that the WebView gets stuck in walls even with "walk through walls" turned on? We are aware of the problem, but only when walk through walls is NOT turned on.

As far as the Nomad AR bug fix, yes we have just submitted it to the App Store, so it should be available in a day or two.

If you want to install the TestFlight app, I can send you an invite to get the Beta version.

Alex:

Thanks for the prompt response. 

So yes it gets stuck with "walk thru walls" turned on, and as far back as I can remember, always has.  Incidentally if it were me, I would leave the default with it turned on, and if you did not want it, go turn it off, but maybe that's just me. That said I still think the navigation stinks. I often send links of models to clients to review in a web browser, and its a major complaint for the uninitiated. just sayin'.

Thanks for the offer to test it but I think I'll wait until the patch is posted on the App Store.

-J