Templates

Here's a few things we have incorporated into our templates. I'd be interested to know what other people do.

• Default Design & Sheet layers to the preferred page set up
  • Sheet layers complete with title blocks, scale bars, north points etc and commonly used viewports with class/layer & override settings
  • Default commonly used classes.
  • Default settings set up for all commonly used tools.
  • Units & document adjusted to preferred settings.
  • Often used scripts.
  • Snap settings set up to preferred defaults.

• We don't generally include symbols as these can be quickly imported from our symbol library.

We started off with just a single general template and kept tweaking it to get it how we want before creating more project specific templates.

• Like 1

Agreed with all the above. 

- We incorporate thumbnail “contact sheet layer” of our most commonly used camera angles so that renders are preset as well. 

- include commonly used backgrounds

- I include design layers specifically for DLVP and have associated classes with the viewport already created. Huge time saver. 

- I keep a design layer specifically for creating CNC files for fabrication purposes. 

- a TON of saved views. We used saved views to completely navigate the project including all sheet layers, rendering sheet layers, working views etc. Saved Views is a massively underused resource IMO. 

• Like 2

All I use my template for is scale, page size, and grid settings.

Any symbols, textures, scripts, or other resources I bring in as needed from my library files.  Any plug-in defaults I have saved as red symbols or plug-in styles, and bring those in from my library as well.  This includes my title block and drawing border.

Default layers and classes I have saved to a Standards file (Library/Defaults/Standards), so I can just import them as needed in the Organization dialog.

I also take advantage of Library/Defaults for other resources that I want available in their respective tools and menus: hatches, line styles, focus points, etc.

I'm usually starting with scenic and venue files from others, so being able to bring my standard elements into an existing file is important.  I also don't work often enough in the same theater to merit making a template — if I'm doing a repeat I'll usually start with the last project and delete the layers with design elements.

• Like 2