Auto-number Position Feature (Spotlight)

lxprnses

Who would like to see the auto-number position feature removed?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Can this feature just be removed.  It's useless at best and at worst wastes time.  It does not have any preferences to how to number the position and just randomly assigns numbers. I have accidentally hit it several times and not caught it in time to undo.  At that point I have moved on to other things by the time the problem is realized and have to spend the time renumbering everything.  I cannot imagine I am the only one who has had this problem.

• Remove
    • Keep
    • Other

Question

Can this feature just be removed.  It's useless at best and at worst wastes time.  It does not have any preferences to how to number the position and just randomly assigns numbers. I have accidentally hit it several times and not caught it in time to undo.  At that point I have moved on to other things by the time the problem is realized and have to spend the time renumbering everything.  I cannot imagine I am the only one who has had this problem.

1 answer to this question

If you have linear Hanging positions then the auto-number feature works perfectly. There are four parameters you can set (from left, from right, from top, from bottom). I for one find it incredibly useful and would never want to have to manually number instruments. If you have round or square or other similarly shaped positions, then I can see that this feature will cause you problems. Surely it's just about managing it's use that makes the difference. 

The new Instrument Numbering command will deal with circular, square and other types of number direction, but does take a bit of practice I grant you.

Edited by markdd