Not matching paper size

drelARCH

Question

I am about to start implement title block border into my workflow and come across this basic but still important issue. My paper size typically come from 'custom pages' with non-printable area set to 0 from each side of a page..In case of A4 paper size reads 210 x 297mm. However in 'Pages Setup' dialog box it translate to 210 x 296,9mm and strangely when I draw rectangle over printable area (with snapping to page enabled) on corresponding sheet layer it show final 209,97 x 296,93 paper size...?

My typical sheet layer set-up would consist of multiple pages (mainly A4, A3, A2...)...then this error gets multiplied...and all title blocks with correct A4 size get slightly moved. So far I refused to set up my new title block border to follow that strange dimensions.

Am I missing something..? Do I need just to accept it the way it is....

Thanks for your help.

Pavol

792125516_Snmkaobrazovky2019-02-04o8_38_06.thumb.png.7db8912797959782b349026f741c5ae5.png1511532110_Snmkaobrazovky2019-02-04o8_40_33.thumb.png.b46d31b388964fc4325bb7df277dc734.png

• Like 1

5 answers to this question

I also noticed that when I set a non printer A3 size to my page size,

when drawing to the cropped Grid,

that it gets inaccurate at least at one side.

So lines snapped from left to right will result in a 41,999999 cm length

instead of 42 cm.

I always wondered about the ugly numbers that will always appear in any

print size number fields.

The printable area is derived from the printer (driver) and may be off by a fraction of a mm. I have seen this quite often, not just with Vectorworks but with other software as well.

A solution you could try is to set the printer to a PDF printer, though the same could happen there depending on the PDF software. E.g. PDF Xchange will give exact A4 dimensions of 297x210 mm as well as the other A papers sizes. Bluebeam may give correct results too if I recall correctly but I would have to check to be 100% sure. Though I have occasionally seen PDF printer drivers that are off by a fraction of a mm like printer drivers of physical printers so it does depend on the PDF software.

Another thing that may help is to not rely on the printer driver and use the "choose size unavailable in PDF setup" option to set your paper size en then use the export/publish to PDF.

If you prefer to set a custom page size with exact dimensions then please make sure it is not named the same as existing paper size names as that may cause your custom paper size to be overriden by the printer's paper sizes when you share the file with someone else. (E.g. use "A4c" (c for custom)  instead of just "A4")

• Like 2