Not the right size

Ellie97

Question

Hello, guys 

I’ve been having a problem for quite a while now. I need to edit an old floor plan and I have to open it first in autocad so I can export it from there and edit in vectorworks. It won’t open straight in vectorworks. My problem is that when I open the file in vectorworks the plan is very tiny. I don’t know if the problem is coming from the exporting because everything is okay when opened is autocad.  

3 answers to this question

It will be a units problem  For example it might be out by a factor of 1000 because the units were metre and they were imported as millimetres because that is the way you have it set.  Another common occurrence is to be out by a factor of 25.4 because the units were inches and they have been imported as millimetres.

What you need to do is find out what factor you are out by by measuring the size of a known component from the import you have already done.

Then redo the import into a new file that contains nothing else adjusting for that with the unit settings in the import dialog. 

OR

Import the DWG into a new file that contains nothing else and rescale the whole drawing using Rescale Objects.  (if you do it this way you must do it in a file of its own because it literally rescales all of the contents of a file including all other objects in the drawing.