Vectorworks very slow

Hello,

We are using the American version of VW (so without dongles). We have about 10-15 people working with VW, in one network. The last two months Vectorworks has been running very slow at some times. For one or two hours all the users encounter the same problem: after 10 seconds drawing VW is stuck for around 15-20 seconds, and sofort. Very frustrating. [Mad] It just stoppes everything, all we can do is wait. After one or two hours the problem disappears without particular reason, to return later without a clear reason. It has been going on for the last two months (only with VW), and seems to increase the last weeks to two-three times a day.

Can someone help us out? [Confused]

Steven van Kooten

KCAP - Rotterdam

I have no experience of the issues you speak of and forgive me if I state the obvious but are you keeping the files on a central server ? Which could mean referencing back to that for each change etc. over the network and this in turn is governed by other traffic. What if the file was copied to the individual workstation and then saved back over when finished with.

Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious

Alan

First of all, thanks for your help. We allready tried to do this, but it makes no difference. It only stops when we really unplug the network connection (hardware). Can the problem be related to the license-management?

Steven

quote:

Originally posted by kcap:

First of all, thanks for your help. We allready tried to do this, but it makes no difference. It only stops when we really unplug the network connection (hardware). Can the problem be related to the license-management?

Steven

What OS are you using and what version of VectorWorks?

Thanks,

Lyndsey

working on a network is not VW's forte, to put it mildly. One of the biggest problems for us is that VectorWorks insists on saving the backup file in the same save path as the real file.

When the network is slow, this means 10-30 second stalls while the backup is being saved. It also means I have my server littered with VectorWorks Backup folders (since VW doesn't clean up after itself either)

Even symbol libraries on the server, loaded in the resource browser cause us stalls and even unexpected quits.

We have no such problems with any other application.

(btw, working locally also creates problems, like team members unknowly working on the same file, and thus overwritting each others changes at the end of the day)

quote:

We are using Windows XP pro SP01, VW10.5.1, server: Windows 2000/2003.

Steven

Hmm...well, we did have a bug with VW 10.5.1 and VW 11.0.1 that was related to network license management, however this was generally experienced on the Macintosh. It is possible that this problem happened on Windows as well, but less likely.

Do you have multiple serial numbers on each computer or one unique serial number per computer? If you have multiple, you may want to try putting one unique on one machine and removing that one unique from the other machines - if you stop seeing the slowdown on that machine with one unique number that indicates that each machine should have one unique number. It is still a bug, but one that I believe may be fixed for VW 11.5.0.

Lyndsey

Thanks Lyndsey,

We do have multiple serial numbers, but for us it is not an option to have unique numbers on each machine. There are just too many different people working on different times of the day with VW, so we want to keep it flexible. Is there another solution?

Steven

quote:

Thanks Lyndsey,

We do have multiple serial numbers, but for us it is not an option to have unique numbers on each machine. There are just too many different people working on different times of the day with VW, so we want to keep it flexible. Is there another solution?

Steven

I am not certain what I proposed is even a solution [smile] , but the test I mentioned would further help to determine if the network license protection is the problem or not.

Do your users use Workgroup Referencing? I would guess not as you mentioned that they are able to work without performance problems off-net.

Have you contacted tech support about this issue? They have dealt with these problems before and may have a workaround.

Lyndsey

• 9 months later...

We are experiencing the same symptoms that I read about in this thread on our Windows VW seats; Macintosh seats do not experience any lag.

The Windows OS is v2000 (I need to verify exact build).

We have about five seats of basic vanilla VW (US, no dongles) all running v11.5, all on a ethernet LAN. Each seat has only one unique serial installed.

The Windows seats experience very bad lag at each command, etc -even with a blank new file. Disconnecting from the LAN immediately rectifies the lag.

I have not monitored the memory consumption yet.

I have not email tech support yet.

Has this issue found a solution? There are not any posts after March 2005?

Thanks,

A

• 13 years later...