Building IFC Model placement in real world location

sragan

I am new to Vectorworks and transitioning from AutoCAD so I may be missing some key settings.  I am in the process of trying to setup a project base with a DWG site survey and 2 IFC building models to be overlaid together.  The DWG survey file is located in the real world (site is around x = 985,140, y = 653,470).  I've inserted the DWG as a reference file with "import locations options" set as "Center first import, align all subsequent imports (Recommended)".  I now have my DWG located as I would have expected in AutoCAD.  For the building IFC models, I created a "host" VWX file to import the IFC file then "referenced" that VWC into my current file.  The issue I am having is that the building model loads FAR away (about 4 miles) from the DWG site survey.  I am not surprised as I wouldn't have expected the architect's to have worked off a real world insertion point.  The same would be true in AutoCAD.  However, is there a setting to place the building IFC in a desired location on import?  Or easily move it after import?

I have tried selecting and moving the referenced building model by using the Move by Points tool but have not been able to move it beyond a very limited distance.  When I fit the page to objects (ie. with the model and site survey in the same view) I am unable to move the model by means of any of the tool options, even moving by distance.  I can only move it by having a smaller view around the building model and moving it a small distance (a few hundred feet) at a time and the program is constantly freezing (likely due to the fact that I have a working file with 4 miles between elements?).

Any insights would be appreciated.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

In your survey file, use a 2D Locus to establish the correct X and Y coordinates for a corner of the building (or other sensible reference point).

In your building files, use TOols > Origin > User Origin. Choose Next Mouse Click is and enter the X and Y coordinates established before. 

Click OK and then click on the relevant point in the IFC model. This will align the user coordinate systems.

Good luck!

• Like 1
On 2/1/2019 at 3:02 PM, Tamsin Slatter said:

In your survey file, use a 2D Locus to establish the correct X and Y coordinates for a corner of the building (or other sensible reference point).

In your building files, use TOols > Origin > User Origin. Choose Next Mouse Click is and enter the X and Y coordinates established before. 

Click OK and then click on the relevant point in the IFC model. This will align the user coordinate systems.

Good luck!

@Tamsin Slatter would this alter the coordinates for the original Background information? I would assume that @sragan will have to send there information back to the other consultants.

@sragan are your files on the same layer? If not are they the same layer scale? Check these elements. You should be able to select the referenced architecture and in the OIP input coordinates that are close to where the background resides.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 2/7/2019 at 1:42 PM, rowbear97 said:

@Tamsin Slatter would this alter the coordinates for the original Background information? I would assume that @sragan will have to send there information back to the other consultants.

@sragan are your files on the same layer? If not are they the same layer scale? Check these elements. You should be able to select the referenced architecture and in the OIP input coordinates that are close to where the background resides.

No, this method should preserve all coordinates for the site.