VW 11.5 Now Available!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FOR ME MAC ARCHITECT WORKSPACES NOT UPDATED BY 11.5 INSTALLER

From what i can see the 11.5 updater did not update any of the Architect Workspaces on my Mac, nor did it add any new ones - hence none of the new commands appear in the Architect workspaces. Therefore I have had to edit my Architect workspaces to see them.

If this is typical for Macs it probably explains why people cannot find any of the new menu items - resulting in the angst of some of the posts here.

I don't know if this is also the case with the Windows updater so can't comment. Perhaps a windows user can fill in the gaps.

[ 03-03-2005, 05:21 AM: Message edited by: mike m oz ]

I have worked with the updated version a couple of days now, and I am very satisfied with it, thank you.

The decision only to include the sketch rendering mode in the industry series is wrong, however, and should be reconsidered. Not all professionals are targeted by the existing industry versions.

So the question is: I want to buy the scetch function. How do I do that?

We've had some major problems with this updater on Mac OS X 10.3.8:

1) it wouldn't allow installation from a standard account (i.e. it didn't ask for admin username and password it just choked and wouldn't allow it)

2) when we installed from a admin account the permissions were all screwed up for the standard accounts so we had to manually change permissions to get the the application to run

3) all printers are missing from the VW print dialogue box so we can't print

Ethan wrote:

THE "STILL NOT FIXED":

STILL no mouse wheel support in Layer/Class windows for MacOS?? This functionality is also missing from "Replace Symbol" window, "Edit View" window, and countless others.

I would like to see this remedied as well as allowing more general resizing of dialog boxes that have long lists of variables. Not to mention

eliminating more of the modal dialog boxes infavor of controls ala Cinema 4d.

I am guessing that these are pretty trivial to implement from a coding standpoint and others are not and that NNA simply has devoted the resources to adding features rather than fine tuning what is there already.

The long standing dockable palettes on the Mac request would be great too. I understand this is non-trivial and woud require a lot of work.

On the plus side, a mouse wheel compliant scrollbar has been implemented in the OIP (which by the way does seem considerably more responsive).

This is a significant improvement.

thanks

David Rosenfeld

I just want to add my thanks to the improvements offered in 11.5. I appreciate the hard work that the folks at NNA have put in to this.

It's still not perfect, but another good step forward. I'm still hoping for expanded power and options for referencing, and the ability to control which side (top or bottom) of the stair can be shown by the stair tool, to properly show two stairs on top of each other without have to break the stair object into lines, etc. I'll keep my fingers crossed for version 12.

Quick question and response to Mike's comments above. I didn't update my Architect workspace because I have done a fair amount of personal tweaking to it. I just tracked done the sketch feature in the workspace editor. Is there any way NNA could provide a short list of menu items and commands to track down from the editor to add back in to the workspace? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by Ethan:

Mouse wheel scrolling on the drawing itself is still WAAYYY too sensitive. One click of the wheel moves half the page.

Ethan,

Try adjusting the scroll increment in your mouse preferences control panel. In the Logitech CP, one click of the wheel moves half a page when the increment is set to "Medium"; when it's set to small it moves a quarter page: still too larger, but better than half a page.

FWIW, take a look at USB Overdrive. It works with any USB pointing device (mice, trackballs, joysticks, game controllers, etc.), has many more options, and offers finer control. More importantly, at least to me, you can configure global and individual application preferences.

Any improvements to the stair PIO? (Come on, NNA: if you can't work out a worldwide license for the German stair PIO, at least provide us with contact info for the German distributor so individual users can contact them directly about purchasing it.)

quote:

Originally posted by Kaare Baekgaard:

I have worked with the updated version a couple of days now, and I am very satisfied with it, thank you.

The decision only to include the sketch rendering mode in the industry series is wrong, however, and should be reconsidered. Not all professionals are targeted by the existing industry versions.

So the question is: I want to buy the scetch function. How do I do that?

I very much agree with the comments. Any answers?

[ 03-16-2005, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: johnb ]

• 3 weeks later...

Katie,

Is there any response from NNA regarding the crashing issues with VW11.5. As I cannot seem to see any within the website. I think a lot of users are getting mift with VW11.5 and will be reverting back to 11.0.1 or 3. Is there going to be any help for this issue?

Hi

I love the upgrade!!

It came just in time for me to use "the sketch thing" on the frontpage of my finale report which I am going to hand over to my teacher tomorrow! Great!!

I have a problem though.

I often chrashes during rendering in open gl.

I didn't do that before I upgraded.

Fix that, and the program is very very close to perfect!

I've been trialing 11.5 for about a month now and, apart from a couple of initial hiccups (see above), I have to say it's an extremely solid update. Everyone at the office is pretty impressed too so I'm hoping I can upgrade all the work computers soon (just a matter of convincing those with the purse strings!).

Christiaan

I think you need to read a few more postings before doing that. All I read are that it ia crashing, no sketch in the basic version, etc. To the extent that NNA are having to issue a patch. I certainly will not be upgrading until the next version comes out and perhaps NNA will test it more this time to avoid the basic but fundamental problems 11.5 seems to be having.