VW 11.5 Now Available!

Nemetschek North America Updates VectorWorks Product Line

to Version 11.5

Free update offers new hand-drawn sketch effects, automatic lighting, improved 3D snapping, and tool improvements

Columbia, Maryland (March 1, 2005)? As part of its ongoing strategy to provide customers with the latest technology and improvements, Nemetschek North America announced today that it has updated its entire line of VectorWorks products to version 11.5 . VectorWorks, VectorWorks ARCHITECT, VectorWorks LANDMARK, VectorWorks SPOTLIGHT, VectorWorks MECHANICAL, and RenderWorks all boast notable productivity enhancements along with new functionality. This update is available to all current VectorWorks 11 users as a free Web download, or it can be obtained on CD for a nominal fee.

Paul Pharr, CAD Manager, Nemetschek North America, stated, "The 11.5 series of VectorWorks products features many improvements in overall stability and functionality, but the highlight of this release is the new hand-drawn sketch effects which give precision 2D drawings an unconstrained, sketched appearance. This new must-have presentation tool is in direct response to user requests to create presentations that look hand-drawn, and it is available in VectorWorks ARCHITECT, VectorWorks LANDMARK, VectorWorks SPOTLIGHT, and VectorWorks MECHANICAL."

Some of the productivity enhancements found in version 11.5 include the Freehand tool, with new smoothing options that make it easier to create organic shapes. Improved 3D snapping now finds the center of extrudes. New automatic lighting means scenes are always perfectly lit. Additionally, the most recently used fonts are now displayed at the top of the font list. Other changes include better trimming, more accurate polygon offsets, enhanced viewports, and improved support in RenderWorks for QuickTime? VR and Piranesi?. For a complete list of version 11.5 improvements, visit, www.nemetschek.net/11.5/

Nemetschek North America is a wholly-owned subsidiary of European software giant Nemetschek AG. A global leader in design technologies, Nemetschek N.A. has developed CAD software for the personal computer since 1985. VectorWorks, our flagship product, is one of the world's best selling CAD products and is available in over 85 countries and is translated in 8 languages. The VectorWorks Industry Series is a line of products designed specifically to meet the needs of designers in the fields of AEC, entertainment and landscape design. For more information, visit www.nemetschek.net

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you NNA! I have just started to explore the update.

Sketch Rendering Mode is what I was expecting from Artistic Renderworks and was a major reason for upgrading to VW11. So thank you for rounding out the concept and delivering.

Frequent Fonts is a great feature. It serves as proof that NNA reads the Wishlist Items.Now I don't have to fuss with Font Book anymore.

Well done folks - you seem to have addressed a good many concerns, though the big ones of live sections, geometric dependency and useable associative dimensioning are still to be dealt with.

Can you please fix the broken links to the Cylinder and Sketch ABC movies ASAP. I am itching to see them.

Some good news and some bad news on the interface slowness front:

Good - the OIP delay and hang problems seem to have been solved.

Bad: There is now a noticeable delay when selecting tools, particularly nested tools - half a second or more. I can even get two tools hilighted at once!

VW 11.5 (B series) on OS X 10.3.8 on a 1.33 Ghz G4 laptop with 1 Gig Ram

I already regret upgrading and plan to immediately downgrade back. Not only can I not adjust the smoothing angle for a hidden line rendering, but when I try to change the size of a simple extrusion (an extrudeded rectangle) in the Object Info Palette, I get nothing.

DON'T RELEASE THESE """UPGRADES""" WHEN THEY ARE SO FULL OF BUGS!!!!!

Majorly disappointed within first five minutes of upgrading!!!!!!!

Mike: Thanks for the info and the link. I felt stupid asking in the first place, but now am glad that it was not so easy to find.

Adam E: You have people on this thread that are trying to help you, but you seem more interested in being mad, (or justified in being mad). As Katie has explained, the smoothing angle is still there, but in a different place.

I for one am very happy with the update.

Kevin / Katie: the smoothing angle is not in the place where it is supposed to be on my mac. Has anyone else with a mac actually found it?

I always appreciate the help that I get on here, but I wasted a lot of time today trying to work with this new upgrade.

Adam,

It is on my Mac. It seems to now be "attached" to the Hidden Line rendering "group" in the Workspace Editor. The net result is that in 11.5, if you have Hidden Line Rendering showing up on your View menu, Line Render Options will be right below it.

I wonder if your installation was somehow incomplete.

Good luck,

A Mac User's first impressions on 11.5....

-----------------------

THE "GOOD":

Looks like Object Info Palette refresh speed has been improved for OS 10.3. Thank you.

Good to see an effort was made to improve the TRIM tool.

Folder Structure List in Resource Browser Palette is FINALLY alphabetized.

-------------------

THE "STILL NOT FIXED":

STILL no mouse wheel support in Layer/Class windows for MacOS?? This functionality is also missing from "Replace Symbol" window, "Edit View" window, and countless others.

I notice you can now arrow up and down through the Layer/Class windows, but if you can't make any changes to class/layer visibility using the keyboard, then what's the point?

Mouse wheel scrolling on the drawing itself is still WAAYYY too sensitive. One click of the wheel moves half the page.

Still can't edit parameters of multiple like objects (IE take 3 circles and change their diameters to 2' simultaneously)

Spotlight Inventory Report still uses "Symbol Name" to distinguish between Instrument Types, not "Instrument Type" Field.

-----------------

I've been begging for these fixes for a long time. Somebody please let me know if the above issues have already been solved and if any of these problems are caused by my own setup.

Ethan

Vectorworks Spotlight User

MacOS 10.3.8

[ 03-03-2005, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: Ethan ]

Where can I find a list of the new commands that will be missing from my menus and tool pallets because I have a custom workspace? Rather than spending lots of time trying to find all the new feature commands it would be very helpful to get a list.

Everything seems to work just fine. I love playing in sketch mode and the OIP seems to be faster on my system. Other than that I haven't had time to figure everything out.

The visual changes really look nice!

quote:

Originally posted by Adam E:

... but when I try to change the size of a simple extrusion (an extrudeded rectangle) in the Object Info Palette, I get nothing...

Mine works fine. The extrusion changes with each change in the OIP. Don't know about smoothing angle.

To adjust the smoothing angle for Hidden Line Renderings, go to View>Rendering>Line Render Options.

All of the rendering contorls have been interfaced under the View>Rendering menu so they are uniform and together.

Kevin

Not easy to find - you have to go into the overseas download process to come across them. From here there is a link to the following address:

http://www.nemetschek.net/11.5/whatsnew.html

Five of the seven movies download fine - these two don't:

- Better 3D Snapping & New Cylinder Tool (Cylinder.mov)

- New 2D/3D Sketch Mode (Sketch ABC.mov)

I have quicktime 6.5.2 and OS X 10.3.8 - both up to date. I get a message saying " Couldn't open the file "?.mov" because it is not a file that QuickTime understands".

If you figure out what the problem is please let me know.