Is Vectorworks Nomad AR broken on IOS 12?

Scook

Question

Hi 

I used to use Nomad for displaying Vectorworks models in physical venue model boxes. This worked a treat and on a couple of occasions I scaled the model up and was able to walk a director around the set in the actual venue. However since IOS 12 nomad stutters and ctds within seconds of starting up an AR model.   The standard viewer still works perfectly with no issues however.

I have trawled the forums and web and can find very few references to Nomad let alone any solutions and to date there is only one review on the app store (mine).

Is anyone else using this successfully? Is this a known issue? is it just my setup?

Any help with this would be appreciated as its driving me nuts..

Cheers

Simon 

14 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Simon,

From the behavior you are describing, it sounds like you are trying to view a model that the AR engine cannot handle. I would suggest simplifying the model by turning off layers and classes that aren't needed or that contain a lot of curved geometry. If you are willing to share your file, we can take a look and we might be able to identify which objects are the biggest burden in your specific file. You can contact me directly at inikolova@vectorworks.net.

Regards,

Iskra Nikolova 

Hi Alex

Thanks for the speedy response 🙂 

Its an iphone 8 running IOS 12.12 Nomad 6.4.2

I have had a colleague test it on their Iphone  5s and they are encountering similar issues using the test models in nomad. Standard model viewer works perfectly its just the AR viewer that has been misbehaving since IOS 12 update. 

I have removed and reinstalled the app, cleared the dropbox folder and transfer the vwx. and then submitted the models for processing again but with out any improvment..

Any help is greatly appreciated

Cheers

Simon

Edited by Scook
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Has anyone upgraded to iOS 12.1.3? I wonder if this might help. We have not updated the AR viewer since November, so wherever the problem lies, it's with a newer version of IOS and certain devices. 

This describes the problem well, so it appears others are having the same problem...

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/113254

We will continue to investigate. Thanks for the reports!