symbols

I've been creating 3d symbols.....but in the plan view its shows all the geometry....the symbols i import from the vw library just show a white shape with an outline ....hope you get the gist of what i am trying to do....i think i need the check a setting but can't find out which one   thanks all 

You need to add the 2d portion. Right-click on the symbol in the resource manager and select edit 2d portion. Add the 2d geometry and exit the edit window. You will now have a Hybrid 2d/3D symbol. 

The process has an added layer of functionality in 2019 which you could explore once you’re clear about this.

Come back with more questions...

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Phil hunt said:

where am i going wrong  thanks 

You are only in the 2D area so there will be nothing. It's a bit confusing! When you create your symbols it is more often than not best to combine the 2D and 3D together. If you make sure that the 2D stuff is drawn in Screen Plane then that geometry will be consigned to the 2D portion with the rest in the 3D portion.

The symbol create command should ask you if you want planar geometry to be converted to Screen Plane and therefore put in the 2D portion, however that is not always what you actually want, so you need to be careful when that warning box appears.

In Top Plan View, the 2D objects will not be visible as the Hidden Line renderer is essentially rendering all of the 3D model and screen plane items (the 2d portion) are not considered to be part of the 3D model.

There is a new feature in 2019 which expressly allows this to happen in all of the screen aligned views (Top/bottom. left, right, front, back), but for now you will need to add the 2D portion later as an annotation in a viewport which is laborious to say the least.

I hope someone has a more useful workaround........

Edited by markdd