Class visibility

Magnus Mikaelsen

Question

Dear VWX community

Problem 1:

Im working on a huge DWG imported file, and Im trying to sort things in to new classes.

Lets say Ive selected everything from one class. Is there a quick way to turn everything else off?

I can manually turn every other class off, but that takes a long time.

Problem 2:

Is there a way to make certain classes always be visible on top of everything.

Thank you for your time.

Regards

Magnus Mikaelsen

6 answers to this question

Yes. The Visibility tool. Click it and in the mode bar you can set the double-click function. 

image.thumb.png.e21da24c0fba9fb97e27dea5a74e2e92.png

The only way to keep the geometry from one class above an other is to assign the geometry to an individual layer and stack your layer order the way you need it.

Edited by markdd
  • Like 1

Hi Magnus,

In the Navigation Palette (or Organization Dialog), if you hold down the Option key while you click in one of the visibility columns it will change the visibility of all of the classes at the same time. Since the Active Class is always visible, if you Option Click to turn the other classes invisible you will only be able to see the class you want.

If you don't want to effect the other class visibilities (say some are visible, some invisible, some grey [best solution for this is to use Saved Views so you can get all the visibilities back easily]), you could change the Class Options to be Active Only so you only see the active class.

Classes are not involved in the stacking order of objects. Layers are.   Each of the objects in a layer are drawn from first to last with each stacking on top of each other. You can change the stacking order inside a layer by using the Send Front/Forward/Back/Backward commands. The Layer stacking order then determines how the objects on different layers are drawn.

I don't know of a way to make objects in a class stay on top. If you put them in a separate layer you can change the layer stacking order to get that to stay on top.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Pat Stanford said:

don't know of a way to make objects in a class stay on top.

If you group all the objects you want to stay on top then it is just one group to send to front instead of a load of individual objects. 

Another way is to make a script via the custom selection tool that selects all the objects in a class and then send to front. 

• Like 1
Guest Frank Brault

For Question 1 on hiding all objects not in the Active class, I think Pat's suggestion to use the 'Active Only' item in Class options is the simplest approach.

For Question 2 on making certain classes always be visible on top of everything, I think the suggestion from Mark and Pat on assigning the geometry to an individual layer is the best available advice.

Choose the way the suits how you work. I like using groups a lot and so having only the active class only visible doesn't work for me as usually the group container object is on a different class than the objects inside. If I make the contained objects the "Active only" class they will still become invisible as the container object class will be turned off therefore rendering all objects inside it invisible.

Using layers to keep objects to the foreground is a good method which I use too however sometimes you already have enough layers in a document...

• Like 1