Records that work as a symbol

Bas Vellekoop

Question

It would be great if we got the option to attach a record to a symbol with the possibilty to distribute the edited information in record to all other symbols with the same name.

At the moment the only way to change the information in the record and distribute it to all the symbols is through a worksheet.

This is not ideal, because 90% of the time you don't have the worksheet open or ready when you are editing info in the data tab of the OIP

Knipsel.JPG

9 answers to this question

Not quite 100% sure what you mean, but put the record inside the symbol definition? -> all symbols with the same name will have the same record. Then if you want to change the record, edit within the symbol definition.

In worksheet options you'll have to check "symbols" so that the programs checks inside them, too.

45 minutes ago, JMR said:

Not quite 100% sure what you mean, but put the record inside the symbol definition? -> all symbols with the same name will have the same record. Then if you want to change the record, edit within the symbol definition.

What I want to create is a worksheet with in the first column the symbol name, and in the other columns info from a record format.

See attached file and screenshot.

In the worksheet I want to be able to change the info of the record format so it goes to all symbols with the same name.

I want this to work as well when changing info in the 'data tab' of the 'object info palette' of this symbol.

So it should be a 2 way street and send the info to all the symbols.

Makes this it a bit clearer?

Knipsel 2.JPG

symbol name and record information in a worksheet.vwx

Edited by Bas Vellekoop
2 minutes ago, JMR said:

A workaround...kind of:

Attach the record to some object inside the symbol, extrude in this case. Give the extrude a name in the OIP, that is the same as the name of your symbol.

Not really what you are after, but maybe useful.

symbol name and record information in a worksheet V2.vwx

Thanks for that suggestion. What I ran into doing that:

It is very easy to give different symbols by accident the same name/number in the 'data tab' of the 'OIP' and mess up the partlist or bill of materials.

When you are working on new project this is not the biggest problem, but after 6 month doing some editing or changes...

So that's why I was looking for a way to use the symbol name, because you can`t give them the same name.

side question > There is no way of pulling the symbol name in the record format?

What we do is that we attach the record "outside" of the symbol (=select symbol and attach record). 

If we want to change all records simultaneously, we use select similar/symbol name and edit the records in the OIP.

This way one can do a report with the symbol name listed (criteria: type is symbol, record nnn is present)

2 hours ago, JMR said:

What we do is that we attach the record "outside" of the symbol (=select symbol and attach record). 

If we want to change all records simultaneously, we use select similar/symbol name and edit the records in the OIP.

This way one can do a report with the symbol name listed (criteria: type is symbol, record nnn is present)

This is how I do it know, but I would like to eliminate this step and make it an option in the 'edit symbol option'.

Edited by Bas Vellekoop

We have looked for a similar solution with no luck.  

With regard to site furniture, it would be great to have individual site furnishings distributed by symbols.  Yes, we can select all and change info in the OIP, but if the info differs, it is shown as a blank field.  I can reenter the part# again but some part numbers are complicated and it leaves room for error to overwrite.  

Not sure why attaching the record to an object within the symbol doesn't work but we haven't found a way.