Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Possible to convert a Marionette object into a PIO?

VvierA

• Marionette Maven

Marionette Objects are the closest thing to a PIO that a Marionette script can be automatically converted to.

You can export the Python script for the Marionette Object with the context menu command and create a PIO from it with the Plug In Manager, but the code in there is pretty ugly looking and nearly impossible to read to edit later (also not optimized at all), though it might be what you'll need to do to accomplish this. (I'm not positive if you first need to convert back to a wrapper node prior to exporting the Python script.)

Thank you very much for the quick response, Marissa.

I learn that trying to 'transfer' the code that was generated by Marionette to a PIO might not be the best idea.

Instead - what do you think is the easiest way to make the Marionette Object available in every Vectorworks document as a kind of tool?

I'm wondering because I didn't find a way to share the Marionette object other than opening the VW document where it is placed and transfer it by copy and paste to another drawing....

• Marionette Maven

You can save the Marionette Object as a Red Symbol in your Resource Manager which would allow you to insert it into other documents (you could save this file to your user folder or to your Favorite Files for easy access)
When creating the symbol, make sure "Convert to Plug In" is checked in the Symbol Options window to make it a red symbol instead of a black symbol.

Thanks you so much Marissa. The symbol works fine.

Sorry to bother you again, but I have so many questions...

I'd like to implement a PopUP Menu with some options in the OIP of my Marionette Object.

I already found the Popup Menu node. It offers three choices, but there is no direct access to edit the number or the names of the choices.

Do I need to edit the code of the node to configure it for my purposes or is there another way?

Thank you. So I understand, that I need to edit the python code of the node?

I tried to do this to make changes, but it doesn't work. When I made the changes and closed the python script window it tells me 'You have made changes to the text in a read only referenced file....'. I don't know how to duplicate the node template and how to remove the write protection so that I could edit it.

Maybe I got something wrong?

Bildschirmfoto 2019-01-30 um 18.41.15.png

Oh and another issue...

If I just use the sample with the three choices and I convert my network into a Marionette object the three sample choices do not appear in the OIP.

Is this, because it's just a sample and does the popup up list appear automatically if I manage to change the sample entries?

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Thanks @AlanW,

What criteria do I have to occupy to generate each of the parameters that are inside the "Edit plug-in Definition" Window since in my marionette I have several Wrapper type nodes?.

I attached an image.

Thanks a lot for sharing your video.

Captura.JPG