Can you automatically link Class graphic attributes to Renderworks Textures?

Cavan Smith

Question

Hi there, 

I am a Landscape Architect based in Sydney and am fairly new to Vectorworks.

Just wondering if there is a way to automatically link your class graphic attributes to your 3D texture attributes?

I just want to be able to see the same 2D (class) graphic attributes when orbiting in 3D.

Am I missing something? or do you manually have to assign a texture to your class?   (Applying texture to object class)

If no texture is applied to the class, my hardscape looks like wireframe in open GL. 

Internal origin is set close to working objects.

Thanks!

(Currently working on VW 2019 - Landmark.)

5 answers to this question

There is a render tab in the edit class dialogue where you can assign class textures. Then make the actual objects texture ‘by class ‘ and the assigned class textures she’d be applied to those objects. Just like in the other attributes there is a ‘use at creation’ checkbox so new objects assigned to that class will automatically take on those textures. Cheers

4 hours ago, Cavan Smith said:

If no texture is applied to the class, my hardscape looks like wireframe in open GL. 

Internal origin is set close to working object

Textures won’t be applied to objects that have no fill so make sure all objects have a fill. 

Thanks for the reply Boh, 

Yeah I understand how to apply a texture to a class... 

I just want to know if there is a way to view the class graphic (2D)  in (3D) without having to create a new 3D renderworks texture (to be the same as class graphic in 2D) 

We have a lot of classes with custom graphic attributes in our template... so this would require us to convert our class graphics (2D)  into 3D renderworks textures...  

It would be a ton easier if we could just check a box to see the 2D class graphic in 3D. (without assigning a duplicate texture )  Cheers.

Hey Cavan.

Ok so misinterpreted your query, sorry. 

2d objects will show their 2d attributes when viewed in OpenGL (as long as they are not on the screen plane). As far as I'm aware, 3d objects can only have solid fill attributes render in OpenGL (just have no texture and the object will take on the solid fill attribute in OpenGL).

Edited by Boh

What are your current 2D graphics like?

Are you using Image Fills? If so, are you perhaps asking if there's a way to take an Image Fill resource and automatically make it a RW Texture resource? (There's no automatic way, but when adding an image to a new texture, you can use the "Reuse an Image From Another Resource" option.)

Or if you're talking about gradients and things, then definitely not. 3D objects only accept a solid color fill or a RW Texture.

Perhaps we're still misinterpreting... If you can post a screenshot or two, that would help too 🙂