VW newbie

mbsprouse

It took me a good month to begin to feel comfortable with the change. The program works totally different than autocad / Landcadd. I am glad to have switched, even though Landmark has a long way to come, especially in irrigation design.

By the way, I stayed PC based. [Cool]

I am a landscape architect seriously considering changing cad formats from Autocad (obviously PC based)to a Mac based system. Nemetschek has sent me a trial version of VW 10.5 to evaluate, but I am having considerable trouble with the conversion. This board gives me hope that other landscape architect and land planners are sucessfully using non-autocad based software.

Has anyone on this board made the same transistion and/or experienced the same difficulties I am from Autocad to Vectorworks. I need to be very comfortable with a new cad software before I can make a decision on siwtching to a Mac.

Thanks for any imput or comments.

The key to the conversion is to forget what you know about layers from Autocad. Layers become classes in Vectorworks, and VW layers give you a whole new way to control drawings. The changes in the interface become more natural over time. I made the switch about a year ago, with increasing success. I still use Autocad when needed, but gravitate more toward VW. I have used CAD based overlay programs (Landcadd) and find VW to be far superior. Just be prepared for a long learning curve.

Just post here with all your questions. We should be able to help you speed up your learning curve. If you can - get the Landmark tutorial CD. It is helpful. I wish VW would put on a Landscape training specific class somewhere such as Salt Lake. Hummm training, skiing, cheap air fare. Might be able to afford the expensive class

[big Grin]

Hint hint

quote:

Originally posted by tvetter:

Just post here with all your questions. We should be able to help you speed up your learning curve. If you can - get the Landmark tutorial CD. It is helpful. I wish VW would put on a Landscape training specific class somewhere such as Salt Lake. Hummm training, skiing, cheap air fare. Might be able to afford the expensive class

[big Grin]

I would appreciate it if you would have a go at this for me tvetter:
[smile]

Viper x

It works for me, only not as smooth as it used to in previous versions. To get it to change the symbols already in the dwg. I redesign the symbol per Katie's instructions on your other link. I have found to make the existing symbols change or refresh, I need to click "show plant settings on and off". I am not sure why this works, but it is probably a bug. I am a notorious symbol redesigner because many of my detailed residences will have 50 - 60 different plants.

Let me know if this works for you.

Thom [smile]

[ 11-19-2003, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: tvetter ]