Drawing Label & Callouts

Is there any way that I can pull the Drawing Number and Sheet Number from the Drawing Label and have that listed in a Callout over two lines?

I am trying to make cross-referencing details/sections easier and avoid the need of going back and forth too often.

My current situation all drawn in the design layer, with one viewport per sheet layer.

1:50 sections

1:5 overall details

1:2 typical details

I want to be able to put in the drawing number & sheet number (only shown the drawing number though) on the 1:2 & 1:5 details, and then on the 1:5 & 1:50 details have a callout which pulls the drawing and sheet data. I'm trying to make it so that I can put in all the reference markers, and then when at the end when I lay the details out on the sheet and input the drawing and sheet number, that will then go through and show up on my larger scale details/sections.

I'm not sure that what I am trying to do at the moment is possible, and the workaround that I am thinking about using would be to create a symbol on the detail which is hidden when printed, and then have that shown on the larger scale, and then draw in a leader line. Trying to avoid having a symbol though as will end up with scaling issues and to edit I have to go into each one rather than just clicking on the drawing label and editing via the OIP.

Make sense?

Any thoughts or ways to simplify? Or do I just need to suck it up and do it manually at the end of the project?

5 minutes ago, Boh said:

Why not use the detail marker or section marker  tool and link it to viewports?

I did have a look and try to get this to work, the problem with it and my workflow was that every detail then had to have its own viewport and the drawing label within the viewport. I find when detailing it is much easier to have them all on the design layer and then just one viewport per page - easier to layout and align things.

Maybe a feature suggestion then would be to allow the Detail-Callout Marker to be able to be linked to a drawing label rather than just a viewport? Then that would be perfect, or alternatively, I change my workflow and have an individual viewport for each detail.

That's reasonable and I have worked that way too. At the moment though I am drawing all my details in the viewport annotation space. The details may start off as live plan or section detalis from my 3d model but I over draw that and usually end up turning all the layer visibilties off.

I've found this means less viewport. Individually scaled details (not influenced by the DL scale), the VP's are just like groups and I can move / align them individually etc plus of course the added benefit of auto referencing.

9 hours ago, Itchy said:

Doesn't the data tag tool need a direct link to the object? I'm trying to pull the data but have it show up on other layers.

Yes indeed. I thought you wanted a leader line. I think the only way you will achieve this is with a small worksheet item that pulls data from specific named drawing labels.

Try this:

image.thumb.png.829b956c152f5aa82f0247bc23d7c638.png

Here is the file

Drawing Label.vwx

Edited by markdd
  • Like 1