Boh

Global editing of callouts from a database worksheet.

There has been various threads about auto updating callouts throughout a file with general agreement that this isn't possible except kind of using a database.

As an experiment I've created a "Housekeeping"  worksheet for callouts where I can change the text of a callout/keynote straight from the worksheet. So by summarising the "Text" column I can then edit the text of mulitiple callouts at one time. I'm using a field called 'Callout'.'Text'.

I am wondering if anybody has tried this in practice and if there are anybugs? So far it seems to be ok...

image.thumb.png.1cacbafe4ce1a04ed703811d4dde4092.png

• Like 3

@Boh We use this system extensively and it works fairly well with very few snags. If you alter the 'Callout'.'Text' field from the worksheet for a callout with text that was defined from the database, it will break that reference to the database. This hasn't really been a problem since the database doesn't affect the callouts after they are created...rather the database becomes useful for populating callouts, but not necessarily for maintaining them.

When using callouts as keynotes, there is another way to pull in the Keynote ID# that you may not be aware of. You can add a column, pulling in the field 'Callout'.'__Keynote Number'). Note that you cannot change this field from a worksheet, only by reodering the keynote legend. That said it is a useful tool.

We actually use this system to build all of our legends in our documents. They are all based on the callouts, not on the objects in the drawing. It has been a great way to streamline our document creation.

It should be noted that this workflow will likely become null and void once we get comfortable with data tags, but for the past few years it has worked pretty well.

• Like 1

Thanks Eric. I wasn't sure if editing the note from the worksheet might cause issues with other callout functionality. As you say losing the database link is not a biggie.

2 hours ago, ericjhberg said:

We actually use this system to build all of our legends in our documents.

Are you not using keynote legends then?

2 hours ago, ericjhberg said:

It should be noted that this workflow will likely become null and void once we get comfortable with data tags, but for the past few years it has worked pretty well.

I haven't used data tags yet but I can see they are a bit of a game changer.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2019 at 5:39 PM, Boh said:

Are you not using keynote legends then?

We do, but mostly they sit off to the side in the background and are used solely for organizing callouts. Occasionally we will use them for basic callout functions, but we primarily use worksheets to organize and build our legends.

Edited by ericjhberg
typos
  • Like 2

data tags-

we have started using them in lieu of callouts and linking their info to annotations and takeoffs for cost estimating

data tags are powerful and should have multiple uses/features

adding a database of notes could be coordinated ??