Changing record content in RM: how to update/refresh items in the drawing?

SCParker

Question

This seems like a simple thing. I've updated some data in the record of a symbol in the resource manager. However, the same symbols that are in the drawing are not updating to show the new info. What am I doing wrong?

The changes are simple data field changes in the attached record.

Thanks, Scott

6 answers to this question

Marisa is correct. When you create a Symbol Instance, it gets its own copy of the attached record with the data that is present at that time. Or maybe it is the Record Defaults, I would have to run some tests to see. Future changes to the record attached to the symbol definition do not change the record(s) attached to the symbol instances.

Your request for a way to do this is good, but also very dangerous for a lot of users. If you intended to change the values in the record on an individual instance but then change the record attached to the symbol definition, how is VW to know which symbol instances need to have the data changed.

I have thought about this a lot and have considered scripting a solution, but have not made the time. The idea would be to select a symbol instance, change the record(s) attached to that instance and then write those values back to the symbol definition. Would this work for you on a Record basis, or would you need to be able to choose on a per field basis? An extension would be to then also write the changed data to either every symbol instance or just selected symbol instances. Or alternatively, a command that will update the instances with the values from the symbol definition.

More details on exactly what you want and I will consider doing something.

• Like 1

Hi @Pat Stanford ,

I have been wanting this exact script/feature for over 5 years. My guess is that a large number of other users are in the same boat, even if they have not commented directly in the boards. I have seen many threads going back for years with this exact request.

The idea would be to select a symbol instance, change the record(s) attached to that instance and then write those values back to the symbol definition. Would this work for you on a Record basis, or would you need to be able to choose on a per field basis? 

I would only need a per record basis. In other words, all fields for that record would revert to symbol definition. Does anyone else need specific fields only? If so, ideally there would be the possibility to multi-select all fields at once.

An extension would be to then also write the changed data to either every symbol instance or just selected symbol instances. Or alternatively, a command that will update the instances with the values from the symbol definition.

I would need every symbol instance in the document and would never need to exclude certain symbols. 

Here is a key question: If a symbol is placed within another symbol, would the script be able to go another level deep to update those? 

For instance, symbol-A is placed inside symbol-1. 

Symbol-1 lives in the library and is only placed in the drawing when needed. 

Symbol-A has an updated symbol definition, and the script is run to revert to the original record definition. 

If symbol-A is within symbol-1 and not in the drawing space, can its record still get updated?

Edited by VWLP
  • Like 1

In the drawing I am working on today, I want to edit a bunch of truss to read in inches rather than metric. (I know, it's supposed to convert automatically. That's another thread.) So, I have all this truss. I -could- select it all and edit the record directly but for one limitation; they are all inside hanging position objects. So, I figured I'd edit the underlying truss symbol and refresh. Doesn't work this way right now.

Metric aside, let's say I want to change the manufacturer of said truss from one brand to another. Same issues as above.

Best, Scott

• Like 1