Drafting Aid - Line into Segments - LOCI ISSUE

Jackson99

Question

Hi all, 

I regularly encounter a strange issue when using the Line into Segment tool under Drafting Aid.

I'm not sure why but when I select Place Loci, my loci points don't line up with the line I've placed and place them off-centre. 

I've attached a before and after screenshot. 

Has anyone else encountered this and have a solution?

I'm sure it's a simple fix, a setting I haven't set...

Thanks in advance!

Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 12.39.44.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 12.40.09.png

12 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Jackson99 said:

I noticed that this file worked fine in terms of the loci lining up however when I copied in the 3D elevation, they were off again. Very bizarre...

Note that many of the Drafting Aid commands only work properly in Top/Plan view. In the case of the Line into Segments command, it draws 2d loci and they are always on the ground plane. These limitations can be significant if you do a lot of layout work.

Kevin

Thanks for testing it Mark. Basically prior to copying in the model and it was a blank doc, the loci's stuck to their line but after bringing in the model, they would then be off. 

Kevin that's interesting to know and I think that's the reason. 

So I often need to use this tool to spay objects out on an elevation (i.e not in Top/Plan). Is there a solution for using the line-split tool with loci's in this way or can it only be used in Top/Plan? Is there an alternative tool for 3D?

Thanks for your time guys!

On 1/28/2019 at 8:24 AM, Jackson99 said:

Is there an alternative tool for 3D?

Duplicate Along Path would be one way to distribute 3d loci along and edge or path. Any view.  It has prefs for number or loci or spacing. Create the path by tracing the edge with 3d Poly tool or NURBS Curve tool or via Extract Surface in Edge mode.

Create a 3d locus anywhere that allows you to see/select the path and the locus.

Select the new path and locus.

Invoke the DAP command (in the Edit menu), choose your prefs, click OK.

Result is selection of new 3d loci.  Often best to group them while they are all selected.  Apply class or attributes.

Note: DAP is quite versatile. It works for 2d and 3d paths. Works with 2d and 3d objects on any path. Works in in any view.

HTH

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
details, details, details
  • Like 2
On 1/28/2019 at 8:24 AM, Jackson99 said:

So I often need to use this tool to spay objects out on an elevation (i.e not in Top/Plan). Is there a solution for using the line-split tool with loci's in this way or can it only be used in Top/Plan? Is there an alternative tool for 3D?

I often do my layout work using Screen Plane objects so they easily transfer between views and snaps work as expected. Often its easiest to option drag a shape (a rectangle for window mullions) to create a number of duplicates, drag the first and last shape into place and use Align/Distribute Objects (Command = or Right Click contextual menu) to divide up the space. If you know the spacing, use the Move By Points tool in copy mode to duplicate and space objects. I tend to let VW do the thinking and the math where I can. Working with 2d objects  to define a layout and then extruding them (or replacing them using Modify>Convert>Replace with Symbol) is a good strategy.

Kevin

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Kevin McAllister said:

If you know the spacing, use the Move By Points tool

Or use the Move by Points tool in Distribute mode. No need to know spacing. Place initial locus at one end of edge. Set number of dupes. Choose pref to Retain Original. Click both ends of the edge. Result is loci evenly spaced along the edge. MBP only works on straight edges. 

-B

• Like 2

Don't forget the Snap to Distance option which will divide most edges and vertices into equal segments. I use it all the time if I want to divide a line into segments for distributing items.

image.thumb.png.89856eafd779a813e8f43cb9531b3f34.png

Just double-click the tool and set your preference.

image.thumb.png.82bd7865a0d219e86b8a97107bb9cda0.png

Edited by markdd
  • Like 4