VW 2019 Title Block instability workaround

JimNaish

Question

Importing existing files from pre-2019 seems to make the title block manager system even more unstable than with a new sheet.  I have had to re-input every drawing number over a dozen times as they all revert back to previous numbers when opening an individual title block. Best wait for a patch for this disastrous feature before using it.  I cannot trust the title block manager system from 2019 to retain any information correctly and would recommend keeping well clear of it.  The title blocks can however be ungrouped once initially set for a project and this will give the ability to change the individual sheet information easily (as normal text boxes) and so be reasonably sure it will not change back at random...it is also far quicker than using the Manager system feature.  I can only assume that whoever invented the latest tilteblock feature had no idea about the commercial reality of getting drawings done quickly and accurately but was wrapped up in providing a new 'functionality' gimmick...which would be forgivable perhaps if it worked!

3 answers to this question

Attached.  Correct drawing numbers are 030, 031, 032....They change back to 1311_024_A....I have tried changing them in Titleblock manager and via design layer menu and via navigation window, all several times.  All work for a few minutes but when I then change sheet information for an individual sheet it all changes back and I lose all the information I have changed on every layer.

I need to change the sheet layer numbers as I am re-using the planning drawings as the base for my building regulation drawings, as I normally do.

What is the point of this labour intensive and highly frustrating 'feature'?  It is a waste of time, effort and reliability. It is far quicker to use a text box.

1311_GA_Const_02.zip

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I have looked into the test file and I think I found what is causing the issue.

You have your "Auto Drawing coordination" turned off in document settings. This is stopping the layers from updating the TBB objects, when changing Sheet Number/Title. Also, you have "Auto Drawing coordination" turned on in your TBBs, which is causing them to update the Sheet Number/Title of the layers, when clicking OK on Title Block Manager. Having these Auto Drawing Coordination flags at different state is not recommended.

If you turn on your document "Auto Drawing Coordination" from Document Preferences, you should not have this issue.You could also turn off both "Auto Drawing Coordination" flags and manually update your Sheet Number/Title for the layers and TBBs and have no such issues too. I think that turning on both "Auto Drawing Coordination" flags should be a better and faster workflow, though.

Let me know if this is not fixing your problem or if you have any other issues using the Title Block Border or Manager.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov