Section marker not showing in sheet layer viewport

If section marker in design layer is not linked to section viewport it will not appear in viewport on sheet layer...?

I dont want to create section viewport I only want to have drawn section lines in floor plans. Just simple 2D.

Am I missing something?

Edited by drelARCH
  • Like 1

Usually visibility comes down to class application. Test this by selecting the section markers in the design layer to read the class in OIP and verifying that the class is set to visible in the Viewport.

If using the section Viewport command (View menu) rather than the  section marker tool (dims and notes palette), Select the Section Viewport. OIP will have a Section Line Instances button near bottom leading to dialog with tabs showing lists of all layer and Viewport names (just numbers if you haven’t named them) in the drawing. In the VP tab, verify that the vp in question has tic in the Visible column. 

Edit: But if you use the Section Viewport command, your section of 2d layer objects would not show much other than a horizonal line(s) representing the ground plane. In this case the Section VP will not show up in the vp list of Section Line Instances (because it's a vertical plane, and therefore not displaying in top or top/plan where the section marker lives.  To view the Section Viewport section line create a new regular vp on the design layer which includes the section line and relevant surrounding plan view geometry.  Navigate to the original Section VP, open the Section Line Instances, and select the new VP in the list.  Your section line will show in the new VP. Or, if other vps show the vicinity of the section line, they can be check marked for visibility in the section vp button for section line instances.

Failing that, create a new file with a few lines or other objects crossed by a new section marker with a new sheet layer vp.  Post the new file here if this new marker is not visible in the new vp. If it shows as expected try to replicate process in your project file. Then delete the wonky section marker. 

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
OIP & Section Line Instances & other terminology
  • Like 1

Looked at your file. Not sure why the marker does not show in the VP. Might be a bug?

But here is one way to make this marker visible in your vp named Viewport-2:

Select the Section Marker on the Design Layer.  In OIP, click Create Section Viewport.

Place it on your sheet layer. Number it 4 or similar. Accept the other defaults.

VP4 can be located on any sheet layer, but for now leave it on your existing sheet layer.

Select VP4.  In OIP click Section Line Instances button near bottom (may need to scroll down to reveal).

In the dialog, open the Viewport tab and click to checkmark Viewport-2.

Your Section marker is now visible in Viewport-2.

The new Section VP can be moved off the print area, or elsewhere.  It does not show anything useful.

Another way:

Create two Reference Markers in Section mode and draw a Line between them. The Reference Marker Tool in the Dims/Notes tool set creates 2d objects with several configuration options.

-B

Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 1.51.54 AM.png

section marker2.vwx

• Like 1

Thanks Benson for your time, I did it through creation of 'fake' section viewports and it worked as proposed by you.

However I think I use this marker tool for things that its probably not intended for...or the tool  is not fully developed yet...

The reason is that while I am happy it is shown on VPs as desired, there is no way to control individual floor plan VP and make small changes - move section marker (due to different drawing extent) on one plan but leave it in same position on other. I would love to have control on section marks in individual viewports. At the moment it is same in all VPs.

But thats feature maybe for wishlist.

I did consider to do it second way, but had hope i don't have to place individual section markers and draw every section lines to it... I know you could create new section marker with line and then just pair every two together to get desired result...

If a section marker needs more than one location on the plan, wouldn't it need to be two separate markers anyway? with separate ID numbers/letters?

Or maybe a generic marker is desired to indicate all the things with same section?

Anyway, I found that the section lines can be drawn in the VP annotation.  If drawn there, they remain visible in the VP and act as you need. I think. Same marker can be copy/paste and repositioned in other VP annotations.  Except, they do not show up on the design layer, if that is required.

-B

section marker3.vwx

Section in Annotation.png

• Like 1

Wow...this is the way they are meant to be used...I didn't think of that. Still would be nice to have them on design layer and control them from there...

Somehow I am still neglecting annotation 'layer' as a full part of creating of drawings with very good reason to use and fully incorporate in workflow. I have to change this attitude.

Thanks Benson, your help is much appreciated!

• Like 1
  • 4 years later...

There's a much simpler solution. Go to the Navigation palette and select the Section Viewport that you want to display section markers for in your 2D layer. At the bottom of the Object Info palette for the Section Viewport open "Section Line Instances". Select the Viewport tab and check the viewports that you want to display Section Line Markers in. Your Section Line Markers should now appear in your desired Viewports.

image.png.b2a05db5e8f74390201a02175f5140a0.png

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1
  • 1 month later...