Drawing Label tool changing default font sizes

MartinFahrer

Question

I find that the default Title font (14) and the default Drawing # size (12) are not good for my drawings.

I would like to set it up so if I am doing a 1/4" scale drawing and create a label in the viewport the Title is 16 the # is 16 and the rest are the same

If I am using it in 1/2" scale I would like the default to be Title 20 and # 18.

I wouldn't mind creating the default each drawing and just have it do it for every viewport label.  It is time consuming to change them every time I create a viewport.  That's 2 extra steps. 

Speaking of which, when making a viewport I would like it to be able to use a set scale that I am doing for everyone instead of 1:1 each time I make a view[ort, no I don't draft in scale I draft in 1:1 because I work with sketch up and DWG files and find I have more problems with scale than I do with 1:1.  

Talked with Tech support they said there was no way to do either.

Thanks in advance

Martin

10 answers to this question

If you double click on the drawing label tool it should go straight to settings. Adjust your settings then place a label. This should now be the default setting for that tool for that file. If you do this with your template file then you should have it as your default for every new file from that template.

When you create a viewport a label with those settings should appear. 

Re viewports. It looks like the default is set at 1:1 in the create viewport dialogue so you need to adjust that each time unfortunately. 

image.thumb.png.f623963d29bcc5ab09e7bb4dd7045dd5.png

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Boh said:

If you double click on the drawing label tool it should go straight to settings. Adjust your settings then place a label. This should now be the default setting for that tool for that file. If you do this with your template file then you should have it as your default for every new file from that template.

When you create a viewport a label with those settings should appear. 

Re viewports. It looks like the default is set at 1:1 in the create viewport dialogue so you need to adjust that each time unfortunately. 

I thought that would work to, similar to how I set my break line tool settings.  Unfortunately the label tool does not work the same.  Tried in Plate, in viewport and in the design layer.  Double click change the settings in the dialogue box placed the label.  Did not track to the viewport label at all and did not track if I went back and made a second label after changing those setting. 

That is odd as I tested it and it works on for me on both vw 2018 & 2019.

I did notice that after double clicking on the label tool changing settings it didn't always pick up the changes when placing the label but once tool is activated then going to settings it included the changes. Slightly buggy but I can still get it to work.

I couldn't find any particular setting in preferences or document settings on this but you could try playing around with the plugin manager and see if that works.

image.thumb.png.f508157286c2ed3c580fa26fe11022af.png

Another handy trick if you already have one Drawing Label with the settings you want is to hold Cmd+Opt [Ctrl+Alt] and click the existing Drawing Label - you should get a cursor with a yellow star and eyedropper CreateSimilarObject_EmptyEyedropper@2x.thumb.png.3548a197bc044c2ad74a9bbf1281884b.png. This let's you "pick up" those settings then the next one you make should have the same settings (even if you have to navigate to a different viewport first).

This works for a quite a few things - dimensions with different font sizes, walls with different walls styles, different symbols to place more of the same, etc.

It's the "create similar object" shortcut, which changes the active tool and its settings, the settings in the Attributes Palette, and the active Class as necessary.

Edited by Andy Broomell
  • Like 1

Oh and another thought....

You could create a plug-in style for each different Drawing Label set-up by selecting an archetypical Drawing Label and running the Create Symbol command. Then check the "Convert to Plug-In Object" box .

140647782_ScreenShot2019-01-24at10_06_27PM.thumb.png.0b84600efe063401c316db6b5b3841e6.png

Then you'll have a little library of presets that you can drop in by choosing them in the RM. You could even save these to a library or favorite file, presumably.

1981605966_ScreenShot2019-01-24at10_06_06PM.thumb.png.28c62910947b6bf614346bb298d48604.png

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

You guys are FANTASTIC!  so many options.  I did consider the symbol and just might do that but no time with my schedule of drafting.  I feel so silly I didn't look for the tool prefereances (To be fair neither did VW support person either.  So obvious, I use it in other tools and must remember that it works in all tools.  Works perfectly for automatically creating a label it's fast and easy!  Adding it to my Template document!

• Like 1
On 1/25/2019 at 7:02 PM, Andy Broomell said:

Another handy trick if you already have one Drawing Label with the settings you want is to hold Cmd+Opt [Ctrl+Alt] and click the existing Drawing Label - you should get a cursor with a yellow star and eyedropper CreateSimilarObject_EmptyEyedropper@2x.thumb.png.3548a197bc044c2ad74a9bbf1281884b.png. This let's you "pick up" those settings then the next one you make should have the same settings (even if you have to navigate to a different viewport first).

Cool trick!