Maintaining object layout while resizing??

tgm

How do I maintain the relative position of grouped objects while re-sizing the overall shape?? This may not be the correct way to phrase it but what I am trying to accomplish is to maintain specific positioning of some objects within a group while altering the group size. I have a cabinet side drawing and I want to have all the holes etc relative to one corner at all times regardless of the size. I would like to draw one part with all the holes slots etc and then be able to resize the overall part size while maintaining location of some items in the group relative to a given corner.

Now I even have myself confused...........

Any help........

Thanks and regards,

Tom in PA

when you resize of rescale objects, they tend to orient aroud a particular point. in a group it would be the center of that group. if you want to change the size of a group around a particular point, i would try inserting a locus within the group at the location you want maintained. hope this helps...

Easy. Just don't include the holes in the group.

Or make a sub-group consisting of everything but the holes, and possibly another sub-group consisting of just the holes.

Or make a symbol consisting of just the holes, with that corner as its insertion point, and insert it into each cabinet group after re-sizing. In fact the symbol containing the holes won't resize anyway unless you convert it to a group, so you could just leave it in, and at most move it back to the reference corner after a re-size.

Or put the holes on a separate layer, and all the resizable stuff on another layer, maybe a layer for each size, and have only the holes layer turned on, and then when you cycle down through the layers you'll see each cabinet with the holes.

Or probably a lot of other options depending on exactly what you're trying to do.