Can someone tell me how I can select this symbol please?

Andrew Davies

Question

12 answers to this question

On 1/24/2019 at 11:44 AM, RussU said:

Are the chairs in with the table, as part of the same symbol?

Can you pop your symbols in a new file and send it over? Mark and I can have a look at what's up

Hi

Thanks - here is my file (I thought I uploaded this a couple of days ago, but it must have failed)

On 1/24/2019 at 4:30 PM, Kevin McAllister said:

Have you tried using the "crossing" marquee to select them? If not, hold down the Option key and drag a marquee across them. When you hold down Option and drag a marquee VW will select anything the marquee crosses.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin - always forget that one!  I did try it, and no - it did not work.  

On 1/24/2019 at 11:25 AM, markdd said:

Restart and then if that fails,  kick it!

Stumped for now...

Was going to restart and if that fails throw the laptop out of the window - that just as good?

Thanks again all.

TEST.vwx

Edited by Andrew Davies

@Andrew DaviesThe issue seems to be related to the rounded rectangle in the "Whisper Ottoman" symbol having its plane set to "3D". If you edit the symbol, select all and reset its plane to "Screen" and then "Symbol Definition" it corrects the issue and the symbol is selectable. My guess is that there's a bug related to the new symbol component system that's getting confused by the "3D" setting. The symbol is displaying it but perhaps shouldn't be. @Matt Panzer may know if this is a known issue or if it warrants more investigation.

Kevin

TEST-4 Fixed.vwx

Thank you Kevin

That is correct. That symbol has objects in the 2D portion of the symbol set to the 3D plane (so confusing) and that throws VWX

I don’t know how it got moved onto type 3D plane and it has happened to lots of symbols and seems to have happened suddenly. I’d been working on this file a lot in Mojave and 2019 and am pretty sure it only just happened. All I can think of is a couple of weeks ago I deleted some classes and reassigned objects for a Rudy up and I wonder if something happened then. 

So frustrating. Is this all part of the new symbol editing in 2019?  So complicated. 

Thabks again for checking this out

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

It looks lie Vectorworks thinks the symbol is a 2D only symbol but it should be a 3D only symbol. When you edit the symbol definition's 2D component via the Resource Manager, then immediately exited the edit mode and the selection problem goes away because Vectorworks reexamines the contents of the symbol.So, the question is how the symbol got this way.

On 1/26/2019 at 10:10 PM, Matt Panzer said:

It looks lie Vectorworks thinks the symbol is a 2D only symbol but it should be a 3D only symbol. When you edit the symbol definition's 2D component via the Resource Manager, then immediately exited the edit mode and the selection problem goes away because Vectorworks reexamines the contents of the symbol.So, the question is how the symbol got this way.

Thanks Matt

No idea how the symbol got that way to be honest.  Is there a way of forcing Vectorworks to reexamine all the content of all the symbols and therefore resetting and fixing it?  Or do I need to go through each symbol one by one?