Missing line types

jonp0001

Question

Hello all, new to this forum and Vectorworks - currently moving across from autocad to vectorworks architect. Early days but I've hit a problem. When drawing lines, I only seem to have 6 line types available (see attached). There is a menu that suggests there are standard libraries available, but when I open the folders they are empty. I clearly need to load some libraries from somewhere, but I have no idea how to do this and I can't find any clues through general internet searches. Any advice greatly received. 

Another issue I have is that the line type I have chosen (some kind of do dashed line) doesn't display accurately in either design layouts, sheet view of pdf preview (again, see attached). This is drawn 1:1 in Deisgn layers and viewed in a 1:50 view port in the sheet layer.

Cheers for now

Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 22.15.25.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 22.21.34.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 22.21.53.png

15 answers to this question

And the lines with green titles in the resource manager are Page size.  So they always display the same size regardless of scale.  You can edit the line type and change it from Page to World to make it scale correctly.  That will change the color of the title in the resource manager to black.  Black line types scale.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

I had my first attempt at creating a custom linetype which should reflect one that we use in AC. The process seemed very easy and straight forward, but the resulting line type is not being displayed at all.

I created it in Page scale and followed the settings (like pen and fill) used in one of the pre-defined line types. Can't figure out what went wrong.

Any ideas?

@mike m oz,

I think you misundertood. Maybe I was not clear. 

The line type does not work when applied to objects. It is not generated. The object is displayed without the stroke/ Pen.

I recently migrated to 2020 and I seem to experience a number of unexpected things happening but let's stick to the linetypes here. There might be something I missed.

I look forward to further thoughts.

Two problems:

- the geometry does not start at 0,0 (so the line is offset from where you draw the line by quite some distance).

- the line unit settings are set to page rather than world and your feature is very small  (at your drawing scale of 1:50 that makes it just 0.06 mm long).

Edit the line settings and change the units to world.

Edit the line geometry select both elements and scale them by 100.  Then locate the start line at 0,0

Note the fill won't fill into the arcs.  

If you want a bubble like appearance try using the Revision Cloud tool in concave mode?  You can adjust the billow size, variability and height and the fill will be complete. 

• Like 1

@mike m oz,

Thank you for looking into this.

There are a few things I don't understand though.

How come the start point affects the linetype generation? The pattern is being repeated along a line anyway.

You advised to change the settings to World. How come all default linetypes are set to Page, have similar size to mine and work just fine? Can that still be the starting point matter? When would I actually need to use the Page setting then?

The way I understand how World vs Page setting is described in the Help Centre, is that with Page I will get the scale of my linetype the same, regardless of the drawing/ sheet scale. Correct? The bubble within the linetype is only a graphical feature and does not represent any true dimension, hence I thought that the World setting was not the one I should be interested in.

Regarding the revcloud, I am not most fond of drawing planting areas as clouds, hence prefer a proper linetype. I don't mind the fill not getting into the 'shape' component.

The line is drawn relative to 0,0.  When I first scaled the geometry it showed up well off the edge of the fill.  It was near the fill edge when I moved the geometry so it started at 0,0.

Page units appears to be fine.  Your line is just 1.5 mm long and your arc has a diameter of 0.6 mm making the whole element just 2.1 mm long and it doesn't want to show.  Once it is scaled it shows.   In this file I scaled the geometry up by a factor of 25.

Linetype test adjusted.vwx

I checked other line types and they all have their geometry centred on the origin in the edit geometry part of the line type.  

As soon as I moved your line type's geometry to the origin in the edit geometry part it draws okay.  See attached file.  Note you can change which side the arcs are on with the reverse direction button at the bottom of the OIP when you have line geometry selected.

The cause of the problem appears to be not having the geometry centred on the origin of the edit geometry window.  That origin is where the line geometry you draw is and the line type geometry is placed relative to that.

Having Page units is fine.

Line type cortrected.vwx

• Like 1