Fixture rotation after reopen file

I have issues like this as well. But I think it can be anytime you load (esc or v3s). Unfortunately it's so inconsistent that I've hesitated to file a bug report for something not easily reproducible. Majority of the time reloading will solve the issue, so I mostly just deal with it.

Here's an example of a show from earlier this week (loading the same esc file).

1.thumb.jpg.ea5b792818adfb811f38ed3dff61b29a.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.ca71a263001d68e04c27b7be901fd8aa.jpg

The reason I took these screenshots is the first time I loaded this esc into Vision, two of these fixtures were oriented wrong. I started hunting around of where I messed up before realizing I just needed to reload the esc and it fixed them. After that I reloaded about 2 dozen times trying to get something consistently reproducible and only got the above screenshot once.

Edit: Filed bug VB-157492

Edited by LJ TMS
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The only time we have been able to reproduce the issue is when sending a file from Vectorworks to Vision with fixtures that have been rotated but not been focused in Vectorworks.

For conventional fixtures Vision rotates the head of the fixture 90 degrees by default when sent from Vectorworks if it's not focused. Once saved to a .v3s and reopened there  is no default rotation and the fixture may point a different direction if it has not been focused.

This is the only reproducible case we have found and will be working on a fix for the issue.

Hey Kevin, thanks for the reply. I don't work with conventionals nearly as often as I used to, but I've had this bug occur with led pars & bars, and I'm pretty sure I've seen it happen to movers as well (although I might be misremembering).

The above example I was using Elation SixPar 200IP's and rotated with 'Set 3D Orientation' in VW (no focus set).

Edit: Also not sure if it matters for this bug, but I always use the 'Export ESC' command (not 'Send to Vision') since I use separate computers for VW & Vision.

Edited by LJ TMS
Just now, C. Andrew Dunning said:

Thanks for posting this, LJ.

If you remember, EVERY fixture - moving and fixed - was spun around when we opened the file on the 2nd computer.

Your absolutely right Andy, completely forgot about that! So yea, this bug definitely can occur with any type of fixture.

Kevin, I attached the esc file in JIRA (VB-157492) if want to take a look. Although good luck getting the bug to trigger when your trying, lol.

These 2 images confirm what Kevin said.  "NoFocus" was generated w/o the fixtures having Focus Points assigned.  "WithFocus" was with Focus Points assigned.

The challenge, here, is that, within VW, we did NOT want to use Focus Points for these fixtures.  We intentionally wanted them to aim straight-ahead (doable w. Focus Points but would have required 100...)

As to moving-yoke fixtures exhibiting this same behavior, we saw it on one computer but not another.  We also saw things flipped 180° (not just 90°) on some loads.

WV 2019 Birmingham-NoFocus.jpg

WV 2019 Birmingham-WithFocus.jpg

On 1/19/2019 at 4:19 PM, Robert Janiak said:

I maked simple plugin for add individual focus point to all selected device by Pan/Tilt angle. Plugin take into account 3D device rotation. It helps me focusing conventional devices like Led Par or Led Bar and speed up my work with Vision. Please ask me if you are interesed in testing it.

I'm interested as well, very cool!

• 2 months later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Just wanted to chime in here, try out the new Vision 2019 SP3 release as it contained a fix related to focus of instruments.

Basically, some fixtures were modeled with a 90 deg tilt. Some fixtures were not. Because of the way the code was loading fixtures from ESC/MVR, it was loading the fixture as it was modeled and not applying any sort of "physics tick". We now perform one "tick" of the fixture on the physics engine when loading via ESC/MVR and now these fixtures that were importing with a 90 deg tilt will import with 0 deg pan/0 deg tilt.

Let me know if this hasn't resolved your issues and we'll continue working to address any problems!

Thanks again guys!