Vision Questions

Hi people of Vision , i have some question

Why the lens of all fixture are stacked out of body and not inside ? *Screenshot_1.png
Why the light crosses the wall ? * Screenshot_2.png
In my case i have only Martin Mac Aura , why floorprint is like a spot ? and don't have blurred border *Screenshot_3.png
Bloom lens are like big Pixel . why? * Screenshot_4.png  
My Vision Settings * Screenshot_5
Why the Software Console it works only with ETC,Par ...... but not with Mouving Heads
How can i use the tool: - Point
                                          - Line  
                                           - Xfrom (In properties palette )
Can we have in the next vesions : - Control of Smoke machine ( Not ambient haze wich is present  )     es: Number; Size & Volume of output smoke
                                  - Multiple camera (editable > Position,Rotation....)
                                  - Set size of left ToolBar                                  
 My configuration:

Cpu: Intel Core i9-7940X
  Gpu: RTX 2080 Ti
  Ram: 128 Gb                                   

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.png

Screenshot_3.png

Screenshot_4.png

Screenshot_5.png

Most of these questions are better answered by a Vision employee, but I can answer a few...

1 hour ago, zeroInf said:

Why the light crosses the wall ? * Screenshot_2.png

In File > Document Preference > Rendering tab (or in the Properties window under 'Globals' dropdown, when ROOT is selected in the Scene Graph), enable Render Shadows.

Bloom lens are like big Pixel . why? * Screenshot_4.png

In File > Document Preference > Bloom tab (or in the Properties window under 'Bloom' dropdown, when ROOT is selected in the Scene Graph), adjust the values of Bloom Percentage, Bloom Threshold, & Bloom Lens Strength to get your desired amount of lens bloom.

How can i use the tool: - Xfrom (In properties palette )

Xform is used as a way to have truss & fixtures (or scenery) move position or orientation via DMX. It's been a while since I've used it (and it has changed in that time so this is just broad strokes), but basically if you had a truss & fixtures you want to be movable, you would create a new layer in the Scene Graph, and drag and drop the truss mesh and fixtures into the new layer (you can also accomplish this via a separate esc export from VW). Then select that layer, assign it a Xform universe, channel, and use Delta X, Y, Z values (in inches) to where all of it would move to when the DMX value is raised. For example apply the value of 120 to delta Z, and you could move the truss and fixtures up 10' in height. Also note X, Y, Z is relative to it's starting position, not an absolute position to the document origin. Rotation Axis, Delta, & RPM should in theory allow you to rotate it's orientation, although I haven't played with it since it's been redesigned.

Edit: Actually in the example I gave, you would use Delta Y (not Z). Vision has long had their axis named differently than VW (which really should be changed to be identical). X is the same with both VW & Vision, but Y & Z are switched.

Edited by LJ TMS
  • Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @zeroInf!

I'll do my best to answer your questions.

The lens is sticking out of the fixture a little bit for historical reasons. Vision has never modeled fixtures "hollow" with a light inside. They've always been "solid" with a lens "where light should come out". Due to the way this is calculated, sometimes this results in the lens floating a little bit. In our experience, this usually goes unnoticed, but I will definitely pass this information along to the higher ups so they are more aware of the issue.

LJ nailed the "Enabled Shadows" option. This will decrease performance but allow shadows to be cast and for light to "hit" a wall.

I'd have to check with our content team to see why this fixture wasn't provided a "lightmap" (which is the way in which we "fuzz" surface lights to be more wash-like and less spot-like).

LJ also nailed the bloom stuff. I'd actually recommend using pretty low settings here. Sometimes I'll use 1/1/1 for the three values. I usually end up bumping up the Bloom Lens Strength (to say, 5 or 10, maybe more based on taste) and lowering the Bloom Strength (to say, 0.5 or 0.1 even, again to taste). If you don't like this feature at all you can set Bloom Strength to 0 and it will disable it (in theory you'll get slightly better performance as well).

The software console you're referring to in Vision was intended to simulate a stage hand. Lights that do not have pan/tilt dmx parameters must still be able to be focused in Vision. This is what the built-in software console is for. If you need to focus movers, please use one of the supported DMX Providers such as sACN or Artnet.

Point and line tools are pretty worthless as they represent 1D and 2D geometry. Vision (and most previsualizers) only care about 3D geometry. The workflow that is recommended here at VW is to use VW to do your modeling and Vision to do your previsualization.

LJ also nailed the XForm's setting 😉

And while I will pass along the information about controlling smoke machines and multiple cameras, I can already help you with the toolbar size! If you right click the toolbar, you'll get a context menu where you can set whether or not you want tool text beside/below the tool or not shown at all. You can also pick whether or not you want gray scale tool icons. Lastly and arguably most importantly, you can select the tool icon size from this context menu!

Hope that helps!

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, bbudzon said:

And while I will pass along the information about controlling smoke machines and multiple cameras, I can already help you with the toolbar size! If you right click the toolbar, you'll get a context menu where you can set whether or not you want tool text beside/below the tool or not shown at all. You can also pick whether or not you want gray scale tool icons. Lastly and arguably most importantly, you can select the tool icon size from this context menu!

This is very cool! I had no idea there was a right-click menu to the toolbar with options. Awesome, thanks!

• Like 1