Vision Running slow

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@thelightingguy I'm not sure if you were working with our tech support already or not, but I did hear about a customer who was having this issue (it just may have been you! hahaah). I believe they worked around the issue by switching DMX Providers?? (I have no idea why this would ever fix it, but it did seem to work around the issue for the time being.)

One piece of information that I didn't receive was that it seems you are able to reproduce this in Vision 2019 SP1 but not in Vision 2019 SP0? Is that true? If so, it drastically helps us narrow down where the problem may be. FWIW, as well, I would recommend updating to Vision 2019 SP2 as it fixed a performance issue with SP1 involving multiple selections.

• 2 months later...

I am intermittently having the same issue. I seems restarting Vision a few times sometimes fixes it, leaving the preferences window open fixes it (but then won't let me select and change fixtures) and playing with the rendering quality preferences sometimes fixes it. What seems interesting to me is as soon as I launch Vision my gpu meter spikes to full throttle, even before I open a file in vision. When it is having the "must be moving mouse to render" problem, the gpu meter jumps to full if I stop moving the mouse, but drops to about half when the mouse is moving. 

• Like 1

If VSync is enabled, I do not believe it should be pegging your GPU at 100%. If you select ROOT in the Scene Graph Dock and press the 'o' key, it will show an FPS meter. If this is a very large number in an empty scene, you likely have VSync disabled. I highly recommend running with VSync unless if you are testing/comparing performance of the rendering engine. Have you seen this issue in previous SP's of 2019 or previous releases of Vision such as Vision 2018?

So I just updated to SP3 and I still intermittently am experiencing the freezing if I am not moving the mouse. I doesn't seem to be pegging the gpu when no scene is loaded though. VSync is enabled. FPS without a scene loaded is right around 60, and my gpu meter goes up, but is sitting around 50%. I just started working with the Vision software so I was never on 18, but I was having the issue before updating to SP3.

• Like 1
On 4/10/2019 at 5:54 PM, Brandon said:

MacMini 2018 running OSX 10.14.4. 3.2Ghz i7. 16GB ram. Running a Radeon RX Vega 64 8GB externally over Thunderbolt 3 in a Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 650.

@Brandon We've done limited testing of external GPU's over Thunderbolt. I can't see any reason it wouldn't work if you aren't having issues with other OpenGL applications, but perhaps there is something wonky going on in the Vision 2019 code that is messing with the drivers.

Do you have boot camp installed? If so, does the issue happen there as well?

Would you be able to test Vision 2019 on a system that has a dedicated graphics card to verify the issue is specific to the external GPUs?

Sorry for any inconveniences this has caused you! I've let the Vision team know about the problem so we can look into acquiring equipment for internal testing.

@Gaspar Potocnik I am running sACN and its a Mac. 

@bbudzon I don't have boot camp on this machine but can look at getting that installed to test it out. I don't have a system on hand right now with any kind of decent internal graphics card either, I'm working on a show that is next week and the file is pretty big. I seem to have things working smoothly for now, the issues I was having seemed to possibly be file related. After several tries sending to vision from vw, I eventually get a file that works just fine. The files with issues also seem to have some kind of various issues with objects randomly missing, a stick of truss in one, a light fixture in another, etc. Just going back and sending to vision again from the same vw file without any modifications eventually gets me a vision file with all objects showing up correctly, and that isn't having the rendering problems

• Like 1

@Brandon Any help you can provide will help us help you as well as the next customer that comes along so it's greatly appreciated!

One thing I noticed was you kept using the phrase "send to vision". I just wanted to make sure you saw my post about MVR support in VW/Vision 2019 SP3. If you aren't exporting an MVR and opening that in Vision, give it a try! We weren't able to switch the "Send To Vision" command from ESC to MVR in a SP release, but it should switch to MVR most likely for 2020 😉

Yes, unfortunately that is a known issue on the VW side of SP3. We are working to resolve the problem in SP4.

Layering issues aside, did MVR fix your rendering issues with being forced to move the mouse? That will definitely help us narrow the bug down in the code!

Just now, Gaspar Potocnik said:

This happens con any Mac I try it, 2016 MacBook Pro 15" Touch Bar, 2010 Mac Pro with Vega 64, custom Hackintosh. JIRA was submitted 11/16/18 though I had some emails with tech support about it even before.

I'll ping tech support and QA on this again and see if we can reproduce the issue on any equipment in house. That will make it much easier to debug the code!