pc to mac

fmh1

Hello listers, I am considering changing from pc to mac. I am fed up with virus attacks and disappearing internet connection so here is my question.. Does anyone know anything about or indeed use the mini mac? I cannot afford to change to to a regular size mac as I need to upgrade to vw 11 also in order to change system.

Any thoughts/advice much appreciated.

Frank

The Mini has a faster processor and more video memory than the G4 that I currently use. I have 1024MB of RAM whereas the Mini comes with 256MB. In my opinion 256 is not enough.

When Apple comes out with the next generation of G5's I will upgrade. My machine is slower than I would like. I am running VW11.

From my perspective, the Mini should work fine for you as long as you put in more memory.

it will be a long time before the mini gets a G5. Upgrades are driven by sales, as long as mini sales are strong and Freescale can provide speedbumps . (G4 upgrade board makers are up to 1.8Ghz. now, for towers of course) G5 makes too much heat!

The mini is more powerful than any Mac that predates the G5, how many thousands of people are using VW with those machines? Pretty much any G4 but the duallies.

Only problem with the mini would be lack of dual monitor support, but it does support the 23" cinema display. Would that be big enough?

Hej Listers,

thanks for your thoughts. I have no need to have dual monitors on the go. I am a scenographer and use vw for my drawings and some small renderings. I will continue to make models as those who actually make the things need to have the tactile quality inherent in a model.

Typically I use vw and photoshop all the time and the net to send of the results, so it seems a mini should do the trick.

Thank you for the words of wisdom.

Frank.

you can upgrade the RAM yourself, it will not void your warranty, AS LONG AS YOU DON'T BREAK ANYTHING.

you can't add internal Bluetooth or Airport wireless because they require a daughtcard and antenna connections. You can add externals if you are really excited about it and can't wait.

Some blogger is complaining he can't get the internal add-on done, I wouldn't expect them to be available until Apple has caught up with demand for build-to-orders.

there is only one RAM slot, so you will end up with whatever it was you started out with as a leftover.

Sounds like you already have a monitor? then the mini is good for you.

Yes the upgrade to change platforms policy sucks doesn't it?

But you will never look back< I assure you.