Jump to content
  • 5
Ride

What is going on with hatch scale/attributes? VW2019

Question

Something is up regarding hatch scales when adjusted using the attributes tool.  I have a wood hatch that I've used for years.  For some reason, when I have this hatch on a sheet layer viewport, and adjust it to look the way I want, it doesn't print that way.  It prints at a way smaller scale than I've set.  I can see something is wrong when I zoom in and out the hatch momentarily displays at the small scale, then reverts back to what I set.  See attached screen shots.  The wider, more open hatch is a screen shot of the actual sheet layer.  The second one is a PDF output of the sheet layer - the hatch is so tight it basically appears grey.  

 

I just tried a few other hatches.  They seem to work fine on PDF output, but the zooming issue persists...it flashes at a different scale than it's supposed to.

 

I've attached a file with a sample of the wood hatch that is giving me the problems.  Any help would be appreciated.

 

*EDIT*

I should add that because of the refreshing of the hatch at different scales, there's a whole lot of *winking* going on when zooming on sheet layers.  In fact, there's a lot of *winking* going on in general with 2019 where things need a moment to refresh after being blurred while zooming.  2016 did not have this problem, in fact it feels downright snappy compared to 2019.  2019 always feels like it's labouring on everything.  Annoying....

 

*ONE MORE EDIT*

I just discovered - I drew a line across one of the hatched rectangles, and a small section of hatch appeared at the line that seems to be at the scale that is getting printed.  Screen shot attached.  Strange behaviour....

 

Thanks

 

hatch file.vwx

Screen Shot 2019-01-16 at 12.59.37.png

temp.pdf

Screen Shot 2019-01-16 at 13.20.32.png

Edited by Ride

Share this post


Link to post

16 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Hatch Line Scale in the Advanced Properties of a sheet layer viewport is also not working in v2019. Just tested in 2018 and working fine. I assume this is related to your problem.

 

Have submitted this as a bug.

Edited by ccsw

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 1/18/2019 at 11:27 PM, ccsw said:

Hatch Line Scale in the Advanced Properties of a sheet layer viewport is also not working in v2019. Just tested in 2018 and working fine.

Oh my, within the next few weeks I need to work on a drawing where I have to use the hatch line scale in the advanced properties so I guess it is back to 2018 for that drawing.

 

Hopefully this gets fixed in a SP for 2019 soon.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

This looks like a display issue related to the  "Best Performance" Navigation Graphics setting. Changing this to another setting should help for now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

That did it.  Thanks!  I wonder if this is something that will be addressed in a service pack one day?

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, Ride said:

That did it.  Thanks!  I wonder if this is something that will be addressed in a service pack one day?

 

All I can say is that it's a known bug.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Hi @Matt Panzer ,

 

So regarding the issue, I have found something that works but I don't know if this is how it is suppose to work? The office where I work at it is also facing a similar issue of not being able to change the hatch scale via the Viewport.

 

The hatches are set up to World Units, initially.

What I have found is, if you select the hatch and 'Edit' the hatch and change the World Units to Page Units, then you go to the viewport and edit the scale via 'Advanced Settings', it scales the hatches that are only for Page Base.

 

Image below shows 5 hatches that change were to Page Based, and the ones that didn't get changed remain the same at screen. Scale Factor is 0.01 for the stark difference.

 

The only problem with this is, the user will have to adjust the hatch per viewport. Can the hatches not work with World Unit and still be able to scale it? I don't understand why this is not possible?

Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 14.40.54.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 14.40.32.png

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 12/4/2019 at 9:44 AM, Dishav Vasudev said:

Hi @Matt Panzer ,

 

So regarding the issue, I have found something that works but I don't know if this is how it is suppose to work? The office where I work at it is also facing a similar issue of not being able to change the hatch scale via the Viewport.

 

The hatches are set up to World Units, initially.

What I have found is, if you select the hatch and 'Edit' the hatch and change the World Units to Page Units, then you go to the viewport and edit the scale via 'Advanced Settings', it scales the hatches that are only for Page Base.

 

Image below shows 5 hatches that change were to Page Based, and the ones that didn't get changed remain the same at screen. Scale Factor is 0.01 for the stark difference.

 

The only problem with this is, the user will have to adjust the hatch per viewport. Can the hatches not work with World Unit and still be able to scale it? I don't understand why this is not possible?

Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 14.40.54.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 14.40.32.png

 

What version of Vectorworks are you using?

Can you attach a file showing the issue?

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
16 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:

 

What version of Vectorworks are you using? - Vectorworks 2019 SP 5.3

Can you attach a file showing the issue?

Hi @Matt Panzer 

 

Please find below the file attached showing the examples I mentioned in the post above.

On 12/4/2019 at 2:44 PM, Dishav Vasudev said:

Image below shows 5 hatches that change were to Page Based, and the ones that didn't get changed remain the same at screen. Scale Factor is 0.01 for the stark difference.

 

Am I correct to understand that if a hatch is in Design Layer as World Unit, it will scale in the viewport in the sheet? 

Because in the file, I've had to change those hatches (indicated on the sheet layer w/ green text) from World Unit to Page Unit for it work. 

 

Many Thanks,

Dishav

Hatches (Print).vwx

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
4 hours ago, Dishav Vasudev said:

Hi @Matt Panzer 

 

Please find below the file attached showing the examples I mentioned in the post above.

 

Am I correct to understand that if a hatch is in Design Layer as World Unit, it will scale in the viewport in the sheet? 

Because in the file, I've had to change those hatches (indicated on the sheet layer w/ green text) from World Unit to Page Unit for it work. 

 

Many Thanks,

Dishav

Hatches (Print).vwx 2 MB · 0 downloads

 

Thanks for the file.

If I understand you correctly, what I'm seeing in your file is correct.  Only page unit hatches will scale in viewports.  

 

This is the help text for the Hatch Line Scale setting in the Advanced Properties dialog:

image.png

 

I believe the reason world unit hatches do not scale is because they may represent a dimensional pattern (tile, siding, roofing, etc). These hatches should not scale for that reason.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 12/6/2019 at 2:05 PM, Matt Panzer said:

I believe the reason world unit hatches do not scale is because they may represent a dimensional pattern (tile, siding, roofing, etc). These hatches should not scale for that reason.

 

Hi guys,

 

I think I have a similar problem with hatch scaling. 

 

My example is a hatch associated with a Car Park Access Aisle. I created one that reflects the legal requirements in the UK and set it to world.

I would have expected that the hatch scale remains the same and it will look in the Viewport exactly the same as on the Design Layer. However, I see only one line of that hatch, most likely because it is so big (as per the world dimensions).

What is the best way to proceed with this?

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
2 hours ago, Michal Zarzecki said:

I think I have a similar problem with hatch scaling. 

 

My example is a hatch associated with a Car Park Access Aisle. I created one that reflects the legal requirements in the UK and set it to world.

I would have expected that the hatch scale remains the same and it will look in the Viewport exactly the same as on the Design Layer. However, I see only one line of that hatch, most likely because it is so big (as per the world dimensions).

What is the best way to proceed with this?

 

Have you tried changing the Navigation Graphics to something other than "Best Performance"?

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Hi @Matt Panzer, I have, but no luck. 

 

Here is the shot of my hatch presets - perhaps I am missing something here.

 

image.thumb.png.cf70cb64b0ba91a71b492444f18960b7.png

 

I would like to understand what controls the generation of objects like hatches, to make sure that what I see in the Design Layer is then what I get as an output from a Viewport. At this stage I don't have this understanding. Any hints or references to relevant posts, webinars etc.?

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 12/6/2019 at 2:05 PM, Matt Panzer said:

Thanks for the file.

If I understand you correctly, what I'm seeing in your file is correct.  Only page unit hatches will scale in viewports.  

Hi @Matt Panzer

 

Thank you for getting back to me on this and clarifying the difference between Page Unit / World Units. So that does answer my query for some hatches being scaled and some don't. But I find this could cause more problem like @Michal Zarzecki  mentioned in his post, please find the scenario at the bottom and what would be you suggest method?

22 hours ago, Michal Zarzecki said:

My example is a hatch associated with a Car Park Access Aisle. I created one that reflects the legal requirements in the UK and set it to world.

I would have expected that the hatch scale remains the same and it will look in the Viewport exactly the same as on the Design Layer. However, I see only one line of that hatch, most likely because it is so big (as per the world dimensions).

What is the best way to proceed with this?

 

Scenario:

925183148_ScreenShot2019-12-10at15_57_31.thumb.png.bde4b06e39700f7dc571299ef00b5f1b.png

Architectural plan drawing showing everything out of boundary in 'Demise hatch' (Pictured above with settings) and I require 3 Drawings @ 1:100 GA Plan, 1:25 Room Plan & 1:2 Details and each of these are viewported on an A1 page. 

 

If the hatch is World Based, then these hatches will look different due to world spacing but at the least there will be 'some' consistency. (1:2 will have bigger spacing due to viewport scale like @Michal Zarzecki mentioned)

However, if the hatch is Page Based, then hatches will match it's spacing length in paper space regardless of the viewport scale which means, the user will still have to play with the viewport settings to get the hatch looking right.

 

I do apologies for the late reply as I have been away from the office but I hope this makes sense? Unless there is another method that I am not aware of but I can't seem to find an in-depth video which talks about Hatches in such detail like @Michal Zarzecki suggests.

 

Many Thanks for clarifying your earlier point,

Dishav

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Perhaps a related issue:

If page settings print scale is set to anything other than 100% then sometimes hatches will change their scale. 

 

eg we have our page set up for A1 but typically print to A3. Hatches will sometimes show twice the size they should. I need to use the attribute mapping tool to rescale hatches x 0.5 to get it to show at the correct size. This is the case at least for world based hatche - not sure about page base. We are on PCs. This may not happen on macs. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
23 hours ago, Michal Zarzecki said:

Hi @Matt Panzer, I have, but no luck. 

 

Here is the shot of my hatch presets - perhaps I am missing something here.

 

image.thumb.png.cf70cb64b0ba91a71b492444f18960b7.png

 

I would like to understand what controls the generation of objects like hatches, to make sure that what I see in the Design Layer is then what I get as an output from a Viewport. At this stage I don't have this understanding. Any hints or references to relevant posts, webinars etc.?

 

 

All I can find at the moment is what we have in our help system:

https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2019/eng/VW2019_Guide/Attributes/Defining_Hatches.htm

 

You may need to zoom in or out in order to see the hatch preview better.

 

And, yes, hatch creation is not the most intuitive.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
22 hours ago, Dishav Vasudev said:

Hi @Matt Panzer

 

Thank you for getting back to me on this and clarifying the difference between Page Unit / World Units. So that does answer my query for some hatches being scaled and some don't. But I find this could cause more problem like @Michal Zarzecki  mentioned in his post, please find the scenario at the bottom and what would be you suggest method?

 

Scenario:

925183148_ScreenShot2019-12-10at15_57_31.thumb.png.bde4b06e39700f7dc571299ef00b5f1b.png

Architectural plan drawing showing everything out of boundary in 'Demise hatch' (Pictured above with settings) and I require 3 Drawings @ 1:100 GA Plan, 1:25 Room Plan & 1:2 Details and each of these are viewported on an A1 page. 

 

If the hatch is World Based, then these hatches will look different due to world spacing but at the least there will be 'some' consistency. (1:2 will have bigger spacing due to viewport scale like @Michal Zarzecki mentioned)

However, if the hatch is Page Based, then hatches will match it's spacing length in paper space regardless of the viewport scale which means, the user will still have to play with the viewport settings to get the hatch looking right.

 

I do apologies for the late reply as I have been away from the office but I hope this makes sense? Unless there is another method that I am not aware of but I can't seem to find an in-depth video which talks about Hatches in such detail like @Michal Zarzecki suggests.

 

Many Thanks for clarifying your earlier point,

Dishav

 

While I do have an idea of what you're talking about, example files would be the most helpful for me to understand exactly what's happening.  Can you attach a simple file showing the problem and explaining what you want?

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


 

7150 Riverwood Drive, Columbia, Maryland 21046, USA   |   Contact Us:   410-290-5114

 

© 2018 Vectorworks, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Vectorworks, Inc. is part of the Nemetschek Group.

×
×
  • Create New...