Cloud Services Not Synchronizing

Boh

Is there a way to update the synchronizing of the VW cloud servics web portal? I have added some folders and renamed some on my desktop machine but when I look on the web portal they are not updating there? I want to share the files on the web portal with a client but they aren't updating to what I have on my computer. Any suggestions appreciated!

Desktop:

image.thumb.png.02496d572eb4e08e13dd27fde93dfe5d.png

Web Portal

image.thumb.png.05c1746e108130e9a33ddf691148917b.png

So I found the "VW Desktop App" hiding down in the right hand side of on my computer taskbar. Right click and on little icon to get status.

Now I have another problem...I don't why or how this happened. Somehow perhaps after clicking on "Sync" the contents of a project folder on my computer got almost completely deleted. VW cloud services isn't even supposed to be connected to that folder. The stuff was definitely there prior to playing around with VW cloud services.

So far not having a good experience with this...  Any help or suggestions welcome!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Bo,

20 hours ago, Boh said:

Is there a way to update the synchronizing of the VW cloud servics web portal? I have added some folders and renamed some on my desktop machine but when I look on the web portal they are not updating there? I want to share the files on the web portal with a client but they aren't updating to what I have on my computer.

The Vectorworks Cloud Service Desktop app is syncing one file at a time currently. The upload/download speed largely depends on the distance between you and the server, where the files are stored (in our case Northern Virginia). We could be doing things better in the future, such as having servers around the world, so users can upload/download from a server that is closest to their current location. Another issue is that the Desktop app hasn't gotten much development lately. We are planning an entire redesign of the app, which should address a lot of the current deficiencies. Currently, the Desktop app doesn't delete folders from the cloud, just files inside of them. So, if you delete the folders from your Vectorworks Cloud Services folder, you will end up with empty folders on the Web portal, that you would need to delete manually. That could be contributing to the confusion. According the our log files, the syncing process did take a log time, but eventually completed. You could use the Vectorworks Cloud Services desktop app's Status dialog to get an idea if a sync is currently going or not. 

20 hours ago, Boh said:

Somehow perhaps after clicking on "Sync" the contents of a project folder on my computer got almost completely deleted. VW cloud services isn't even supposed to be connected to that folder. The stuff was definitely there prior to playing around with VW cloud services.

We can't be exactly sure that this is really what happened, it but after review of our log files, our theory is as follows:

- You created a shortcut of a network folder into the Vectorworks Cloud Services folder, which resulted in the files from their original location on your server to be uploaded to the cloud.

- There was a network interruption to your network folder, which resulted in files from the cloud to get deleted, because the app thought that the files were deleted locally

- When the connection to your network folder was resumed, the app deleted them locally, because they were no longer available on the cloud

So, the files that got deleted should be available in the Trash folder on the Vectorworks Cloud Services Web portal, but they will not be in a folder, due to the fact that the Desktop app deleted them individually and left the folder undeleted.

21 hours ago, Boh said:

Not sure if using VW cloud services for sharing files. Dropbox seems to be much faster at synchonizing.

See https://cloud.vectorworks.net/portal/help/pages/integrate-with-dropbox/  and https://cloud.vectorworks.net/portal/help/pages/share-files/

If the Dropbox syncing works much better for you, you could use the Dropbox sharing while still allowing Vectorworks Cloud Services access to your files, so you could use all of the Vectorworks Cloud Services features (such as cloud rendering capabilities, viewing of 3D models in the browser, Bluebeam integration, viewing of 360 panoramic images and so on) with your Dropbox files.

I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. Please don't hesitate to contact me directly at inikolova@vectorworks.net with any additional questions.

Best regards,

Iskra Nikolova

Thanks Iskra. Great response! I guess I couldn't be much further from Northern Virgina (I'm in New Zealand)!

Yes I was wondering about the empty folders and why they were still there on the cloud portal.

1 hour ago, inikolova said:

- You created a shortcut of a network folder into the Vectorworks Cloud Services folder, which resulted in the files from their original location on your server to be uploaded to the cloud.

The shortcut link was on the portal for some months but I never saw the actual contents of the referenced project (located on our office local server) uploaded onto the portal.

So, the files that got deleted should be available in the Trash folder on the Vectorworks Cloud Services Web portal, but they will not be in a folder, due to the fact that the Desktop app deleted them individually and left the folder undeleted.

I also looked through the trash and didn't see it there either.

I am pretty sure the cause of the error however was the shortcut file - so I guess the main learning here is to not put shortcut files into shared folders!

If the Dropbox syncing works much better for you, you could use the Dropbox sharing while still allowing Vectorworks Cloud Services access to your files, so you could use all of the Vectorworks Cloud Services features (such as cloud rendering capabilities, viewing of 3D models in the browser, Bluebeam integration, viewing of 360 panoramic images and so on) with your Dropbox files.

Will look into this, good tip, thanks.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I am glad you found my response helpful! Yes, I would say "Stay away from shortcuts in general, especially if they point to a network location". I was the one who needed to test  the behavior of shortcuts when this feature was added, and I honestly still remember the nightmares I was having from that 😅. Things can get really confusing if you also install the desktop app on more than one computer. I hope we can make this more clear with the redesigned app.

• Like 3