Edit symbol in 2019, not great

grant_PD

Question

8 answers to this question

18 minutes ago, grant_PD said:

I feel like there are many many more hoops for me to jump through in order to edit symbols now.

Its horrendous. Editing in containers has gotten progressively worse but 2019 is unusable. I have been copy/pasting my 3d symbol elements onto a clean design layer, doing my edits and then pasting the changes back into symbols. I constantly use 2d objects for layout and relationships. I can't imagine a workflow without that option.

Kevin

The container wish - 

And the symbol 2d/3d edit wish -

• Like 3

It seems that if you activate a working plane you can create objects in 3d mode.  Which I will take as a workaround as VW continues to box itself in with its screen plane conundrum.  However, one cannot create a 2d object and then switch its plane to "working plane" or "3d" from the OIP.  

2 minutes ago, Rob Books said:

if you have the Active plane set to Layer plane, it will not disappear.  this change was done for the new 2D planar graphics.  it's not my ideal, and I have had to change how I do some things.  

I don't want layer plane objects. I want screen plane objects as guide objects otherwise they won't snap properly. (I despise Screen Aligned mode. Yes, a strong word, but it captures how I feel. I always know when something isn't working that VW has switched to Screen Aligned mode.)

Kevin

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Andy Broomell said:

To be clear, we need to be able to WORK inside Symbol Edit mode; Symbol geometry is seldom finished by the time I create it into a Symbol. It should be no different than editing inside a group. Nothing should ever disappear as you're working.

^^^^^^^^^^THIS!!!!!!! 😀 Working anywhere in VW should be just like working in the design layers in Top/Plan view. Snaps work, things behave as expected, etc.. A recent example of this is where you can no longer grab the handles of grouped screen plane objects in any 3d view. I often work in front view using screen plane guides. When I group the guides to keep them together I can't move the group and snap it anymore because of this limitation.

Kevin

• Like 3

Hello

Im sorry I cant help with the advanced use of symbols.

But I have symbol issue of my own.

I try to make a simple circle within a circle symbol.

But even though I set the insertionpoint to be in the center of the circle it automaticly goes to the left middlepoint of the circle.

I tried to edit the insertionpoint in the symbol, but it always ends up beeing the left mid of the circle.

What am I doing wrong?

The workflow is:

I make a 2d drawing.

I select the drawn lines/objects.

I go to, create symbol.

I tried both options for insertionpoint, the result is the same.

I go to the resourcebrowser and find the symbol

I doubleclick the symbol and try to place it out in the designlayer.

But the insertionpoint is not where i want it to be.

Kind Regards

Magnus