Where can I add/edit/delete VW's default Sheet Sizes?

For example, if I want to add MySheet X, MySheet Y, MySheet Z to the drop-down list in the screen shot below, how do I do that?

I've spent 45 minutes reading VW Help, searching this forum, & digging through the VW system folders looking for defaults.

Thanks in advance.

2088420800_ScreenShot2019-01-15at9_55_10PM.thumb.png.7865994c9c574862d37eb9241c6df8b2.png

Edited by Gilbert Osmond
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @Gilbert Osmond,

You could add your size in "<VW folder>\Plug-Ins\Common\Data\DwgSizes-Universal.xml". Make sure to use the same pattern as the default fields. Also, it is not recommended to edit this file, so keep in mind that there is a chance for unexpected behaviour.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

2 hours ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

Hello @Gilbert Osmond,

You could add your size in "<VW folder>\Plug-Ins\Common\Data\DwgSizes-Universal.xml". Make sure to use the same pattern as the default fields. Also, it is not recommended to edit this file, so keep in mind that there is a chance for unexpected behaviour.

Thank you, that does allow me to add page sizes in the Title Block Border Settings dialog box.

What puzzles me, though, is that the new sizes I created do not show up in the regular Page Setup dialog box. Is there a way to edit this list of paper sizes as well?  I  already went in to Printer Setup... and selected "Any Printer," then returned to this screen & hoped to see the full list of paper sizes, but it only shows a truncated list. 

(Screenshot from Vectorworks "Page Setup")

1283960651_ScreenShot2019-01-16at2_02_32AM.thumb.png.b38ee786d3088f991fd2722325be9818.png

Edited by Gilbert Osmond
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
51 minutes ago, Gilbert Osmond said:

What puzzles me, though, is that the new sizes I created do not show up in the regular Page Setup dialog box. Is there a way to edit this list of paper sizes as well?  I  already went in to Printer Setup... and selected "Any Printer," then returned to this screen & hoped to see the full list of paper sizes, but it only shows a truncated list.

- Unfortunately, there is no way to add new sizes in this list, at least not any that I know of. However, for each Sheet Layer, you could select different size from the Page Setup. That way, you could choose different printer too. Using this functionality, you could create custom Printer sizes, set the page size to One Printer Page and use the custom printer sizes for the different Sheet Layers. I think that's the closest you can get to your wish for customization. Maybe there is easier way to achieve this, but I am not familiar with it.

8 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:

I think creating custom page sizes through the page setup (as Nikolay suggests) is the only place you need to add them.  You can then use "Fit to Page" in the sheet border to have it always match the sheet layer's page size.

It's a bit of a round-about path to get to my real underlying goal & wish here, but the reason I've inquired about this is that when I use a linked field (in the new 2018/2019-style "Title Block Border Settings --> Edit Style --> Title Block Layout" editing area,) I want to be able to link the text parameter "Title Block Border.Sheet Size Name" to a field in my Title Block and have that field display correctly when I select a non-standard paper size.

250719906_ScreenShot2019-01-16at2_24_30PM.thumb.png.9fbbf6f18f5ab6ad88a7a4330db00df7.png

For example, I do a lot of small US LETTER and US LEGAL-size drawings and details and I would like the "Sheet Size: " to appear as "US LETTER" in my Title Block, rather than having it default to displaying the actual measurements 8.5" x 11", which is what it does now if there is no named preset paper size corresponding to the actual measurements.

So I was hoping to add a "US LETTER" and "US LEGAL" sheet size definition to the overall VW default paper sizes and thereby fix this problem.

---

As a work-around I've been manually entering the sheet sizes in a custom-added field in the Title Block Manager on a per-instance (not per-style) basis but this is getting unwieldy.

Edited by Gilbert Osmond
  • Like 1