Vectorworks 2019 SP2. Beach ball indefinitely when selecting a dimension.

Adam Fisher

Question

Have an issue when I select a constrained dimension I get the beach ball and Vectorworks hangs indefinitely.  Looking at the console it just sits in a loop with this message...

NSExceptionHandler has recorded the following exception:

NSGenericException -- The window has been marked as needing another Display Window pass, but it has already had 3 Display Window passes.

I'm running 2019 SP2 on a new MacBook Pro with Mojave 10.14.2.

8 answers to this question

Resorted to uninstalling completely and then reinstalling.  Still have the same problem

Interesting update.  I disconnected all peripherals and it works fine.  Reconnecting any USB-C peripherals with USB 3 ports in use causes a problem.  USB-C drives work fine.  Connecting a thunderbolt screen via a thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter also does not cause the problem.  

Edited by Adam Fisher

Hey, I'm having the exact same problem. I did the same preferences reset, it worked for a couple weeks, but literally in the last 30min, it's started up again. It's taking about 5minutes for me to select a dimension line, let alone delete it.

This is in VW2019, SP2, running Mojave 10.14.3.

I'm going to do the preferences reset again to see if that helps a second time, but this is a huge time suck. Is any attention being paid to correcting this bug?

25 minutes ago, KatharineSmith said:

Hey, I'm having the exact same problem. I did the same preferences reset, it worked for a couple weeks, but literally in the last 30min, it's started up again. It's taking about 5minutes for me to select a dimension line, let alone delete it.

This is in VW2019, SP2, running Mojave 10.14.3.

I'm going to do the preferences reset again to see if that helps a second time, but this is a huge time suck. Is any attention being paid to correcting this bug?

Are you on a MacBook Pro? If so disconnect any usb peripherals and see if it works. It works fine on mine when I don’t have any usb c stuff connected. 

Hi Katherine, I think you have the same iMac I currently use.

I had the same issue, although reverted back to SP 1 which seems to have alleviated some hangs. [I had reset my User Folder/prefs, along with re-install to SP 2 but ultimately had to go back to SP1].

I am about to setup a new machine with 4GB VRam as it has been suggested that 2GB VRam is insufficient in some cases.

Mark

On 1/16/2019 at 12:44 PM, Adam Fisher said:

Interesting update.  I disconnected all peripherals and it works fine.  Reconnecting any USB-C peripherals with USB 3 ports in use causes a problem.  USB-C drives work fine.  Connecting a thunderbolt screen via a thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter also does not cause the problem.

Yes this is interesting. Can you expand on this a bit, please? 

Do you mean that beach balling occurs whenever you connect a USB-C peripheral while other USB-C ports already have devices connected to them? So connecting the same peripheral does not cause beach balling if no other USB-C devices are already plugged in? 

What are the devices that do cause beach balling when/after they are plugged in?