Adam Fisher

Vectorworks 2019 SP2. Beach ball indefinitely when selecting a dimension.

Question

Have an issue when I select a constrained dimension I get the beach ball and Vectorworks hangs indefinitely.  Looking at the console it just sits in a loop with this message...

NSExceptionHandler has recorded the following exception:

NSGenericException -- The window has been marked as needing another Display Window pass, but it has already had 3 Display Window passes.

I'm running 2019 SP2 on a new MacBook Pro with Mojave 10.14.2.

8 answers to this question

Perform the following, reboot, then relaunch Vectorworks and try the same thing again, let me know if it still hangs:

That issue should have been corrected for mojave in sp2, but some users have needed to reset preferences to fix it on their machines.

Did as requested and unfortunately it still does the same thing.  Also now says "Error loading Vision Library!" on startup.

Resorted to uninstalling completely and then reinstalling.  Still have the same problem

Interesting update.  I disconnected all peripherals and it works fine.  Reconnecting any USB-C peripherals with USB 3 ports in use causes a problem.  USB-C drives work fine.  Connecting a thunderbolt screen via a thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter also does not cause the problem.  

Edited by Adam Fisher

Hey, I'm having the exact same problem. I did the same preferences reset, it worked for a couple weeks, but literally in the last 30min, it's started up again. It's taking about 5minutes for me to select a dimension line, let alone delete it.

This is in VW2019, SP2, running Mojave 10.14.3.

I'm going to do the preferences reset again to see if that helps a second time, but this is a huge time suck. Is any attention being paid to correcting this bug?

25 minutes ago, KatharineSmith said:

Hey, I'm having the exact same problem. I did the same preferences reset, it worked for a couple weeks, but literally in the last 30min, it's started up again. It's taking about 5minutes for me to select a dimension line, let alone delete it.

This is in VW2019, SP2, running Mojave 10.14.3.

I'm going to do the preferences reset again to see if that helps a second time, but this is a huge time suck. Is any attention being paid to correcting this bug?

Are you on a MacBook Pro? If so disconnect any usb peripherals and see if it works. It works fine on mine when I don’t have any usb c stuff connected. 

Hi Katherine, I think you have the same iMac I currently use.

I had the same issue, although reverted back to SP 1 which seems to have alleviated some hangs. [I had reset my User Folder/prefs, along with re-install to SP 2 but ultimately had to go back to SP1].

I am about to setup a new machine with 4GB VRam as it has been suggested that 2GB VRam is insufficient in some cases.

Mark

On 1/16/2019 at 12:44 PM, Adam Fisher said:

Interesting update.  I disconnected all peripherals and it works fine.  Reconnecting any USB-C peripherals with USB 3 ports in use causes a problem.  USB-C drives work fine.  Connecting a thunderbolt screen via a thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter also does not cause the problem.

Yes this is interesting. Can you expand on this a bit, please? 

Do you mean that beach balling occurs whenever you connect a USB-C peripheral while other USB-C ports already have devices connected to them? So connecting the same peripheral does not cause beach balling if no other USB-C devices are already plugged in? 

What are the devices that do cause beach balling when/after they are plugged in?