Extrudes shouldn't "remember" rotations

Andy Broomell

Question

16 answers to this question

I think that came with VW 2017 or 2017.

Since then I have just problems with Extrudes.

Not only because of the unwanted history.

There were Problems displaying the correct location of the 2D Elements and Grid itself,

Design Layer vs Edit Mode. When in Design Layer, all 2D content looked a few cm off,

When you move the Extrude back in place, and go back to Edit Mode with Show Environment on,

the Content is OFF place again.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
17 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

If you draw a shape then extrude it, then rotate the extrude, when you go inside the extrude to modify the contents, it still seems to remember it's old rotation.

Actually, I was NOT able to replicate this in a simple test file... but I have absolutely seen the same thing personally. I did recently reset my preferences back to absolute stock but I am not aware of any Vectorworks preference that should affect this.

My steps to reproduce (that failed):

1) Create 3 shapes, circle, hexagon with the regular poly tool, and a rectangle.
2) Individually extrude each
3) duplicate this set of extrudes for reference

4) Rotate any of the 3 created figure in one of the sets off its axis, in my test I rotated in front, left and randomly using the Rotate tool in an isometric view
5) Double click to edit the extrudes and observe the alignment of the extruded object

I had expected the extruded source geometry to show aligned with the non-rotated duplicates, but in 2019 SP2 on Windows 10, it seems to be working as expected in a new test file, where the resulting extruded geometry retains it's expected rotation during edit.

image.png

image.png

image.png

Going to try a few more operations and see if its just when the history gets crowded that this starts to happen.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Jim Wilson said:

Actually, I was NOT able to replicate this in a simple test file... but I have absolutely seen the same thing personally. I did recently reset my preferences back to absolute stock but I am not aware of any Vectorworks preference that should affect this.

What happens if you select Top/Plan or hit Numpad 0 when in edit mode? Does it show the original or rotated position?

So that's odd... Top/Plan actually seems to re-align me to face the extrude pre-rotation. However, the other standard views show the extrude source in its original orientation. Top works, but Top/Plan does SEEM to revert it's orientation, but it then returns after I change views. Somethings up.

My experience was that the "Location-History" and potential Offsets between Edit Mode and Reality

are some kind of temporary.

I don't know what the exact steps were (like Editing another Extrude in between or such) but

I experienced that at some point the Edit Mode vs Reality Distorsion comes back into Sync

or heal itself.

(Which doesn't make it much better but unpredictable)

Also I think the 2D Geometry of Extrudes has some kind of own "Plane" mode like Screen Plane ...

I think it was called "Extrude Plane" (?) which could be changed (?) but didn't do any good for me (?)

either.

Edited by zoomer
11 minutes ago, Andy Broomell said:

So this problem is so bad in my 2019 file that I literally cannot do my job. 😣

Thats the one I saw before too!

If you could please: The very next time that issue happens, leave that editing mode open and then go to Tools > Options > Vectorworks PReferences > Display and change the Navigation Graphics setting to the opposite of what it currently is, either Best Performance or Best Compatibility (not the middle one, I mean) and tell me if the geometry snap back into place or if it shows the same weird broken offset. Thank you.

26 minutes ago, Jim Wilson said:

If you could please: The very next time that issue happens, leave that editing mode open and then go to Tools > Options > Vectorworks PReferences > Display and change the Navigation Graphics setting to the opposite of what it currently is, either Best Performance or Best Compatibility (not the middle one, I mean) and tell me if the geometry snap back into place or if it shows the same weird broken offset. Thank you.

I hadn't thought to try changing that, but unfortunately no change. 

Heys Guys,

I was searching for a topic like. Found this one and an older one:

In my understanding the problem is the following:

First you create a shape. This shape has its own working plane so you always can easly edit it in top view even if it's not perpendicular to the ground plane. You then create an extrude from the shape(In this step the 2D Geometrie gets extruded from the groundplane up or down and then 3D rotated so it matches your current view/orientation of your 2D shape)

Everytime you rotate the extrude, its attached shape and working plane gets rotated too.

Those blue "normal" reshape handles you only get if your actual view it perpendicular to the working plane of the shape.

--> I believe this is necessary cause Vectorworks dont know how to reshape the 2D Geomentrie if your current view is perspectively distorted.

If you mirror the extrude you can only edit the shape on the originally groundplane und the outside is also unavailible. 

--> Maybe technicly not solved to far

Would there be also blue handles if the current view is in the same direction(not rotation this seems hard to do) as the workingplane of the shape or mirroring an extrude would mirror the shape instead of the 3D Object this would already help a lot !

Edited by heikolistische