Plans not publishing as expected

Andrew Davies

Question

I haven’t come across this before and it is driving me nuts.

I have a sheet layer with a viewport and all displays correctly.  When I publish it or print it - some symbols are missing.

For some reason I can not select the symbols in question directly on the drawing - but if I select them through the resource browser - I see that there is no 2D version. These are 2D symbols - but the geometry seems to be stored in the 3D part of the symbol.

Copying the 2D part FROM the 3D to the 2D part seems to fix it - but I can’t go through all symbols.

I have no idea why it has suddenly started behaving like this.  I have it set to a Top view in the viewport - some items disappear, some remain.

I know I am not giving much to go on, but I just want to get this drawing done.  If it wasn’t 10 pm at night and I didn’t have a massive day ahead of me tomorrow, I would be more coherent.  I have restarted, rebooted, exported to 2018 and back again to no avail.  Just loaded a previous version and it was working fine,  but I can’t re-do all my edits now.

The file is here if anyone wants to take a look. https://secure.flair.ltd.uk/dl/RtYb6GvA13

Try selecting a symbol on the Welcome Reception Hired Furniture Layer.

I am on Mojave and VWX 2019 SP 2

I have attached two screenshots - one screenshot of the Viewport I am publishing, and another a portion of the published PDF.

Just tried trashing preferences to no avail.

Andrew

Screenshot 2019-01-14 at 22.33.55.png

Screenshot 2019-01-14 at 22.33.44.png

Edited by Andrew Davies

5 answers to this question

Hi Andrew. I can't open your file as not a Flair member (need to login) but suggest instead of copying and pasting the 2d part of symbols from the 3d part to the 2d part simply put these parts on the screen plan. If they still have 3d elements after this then they will become a hybrid symbol. If not then they should just become simple 2d symbols.

Perhaps try this on one symbol?

According to this thread there is a plugin that will change all objects in a file to screen or layer plane which I am not sure will work on symbols but you could try.

One other thought. Are the objects you are trying to select in VP annotations? If so, and if their general class visibility is OFF and their VP class visibility is ON then you will be able to see the object but not select it.

Hope that is helpful.

Thanks Boh

Appreciate your help with this.  Sorry about the link - it was late and I was grumpy.

This link should work.

https://secure.flair.ltd.uk/fl/7z6As8Bfky/VWX_Sample_files_

I have done a little more digging and do remember a couple of weeks ago tidying up my drawing and combining / deleting some classes.  That is the only thing I can think of that affected the drawing.  That said - I certainly didn't directly change any symbols.

However there are still some very strange behaviours.

For example - being unable to select a symbol, but more importantly - having a Viewport on a sheet layer which shows as I expect - but the published or printed PDF is missing elements,.

In other words - WYSI NOT WYG

Thanks again,

Andrew

11 hours ago, Andrew Davies said:

I haven’t come across this before and it is driving me nuts.

I have a sheet layer with a viewport and all displays correctly.  When I publish it or print it - some symbols are missing.

For some reason I can not select the symbols in question directly on the drawing - but if I select them through the resource browser - I see that there is no 2D version. These are 2D symbols - but the geometry seems to be stored in the 3D part of the symbol.

Copying the 2D part FROM the 3D to the 2D part seems to fix it - but I can’t go through all symbols.

I have no idea why it has suddenly started behaving like this.  I have it set to a Top view in the viewport - some items disappear, some remain.

I know I am not giving much to go on, but I just want to get this drawing done.  If it wasn’t 10 pm at night and I didn’t have a massive day ahead of me tomorrow, I would be more coherent.  I have restarted, rebooted, exported to 2018 and back again to no avail.  Just loaded a previous version and it was working fine,  but I can’t re-do all my edits now.

The file is here if anyone wants to take a look. https://secure.flair.ltd.uk/dl/RtYb6GvA13

Try selecting a symbol on the Welcome Reception Hired Furniture Layer.

I am on Mojave and VWX 2019 SP 2

I have attached two screenshots - one screenshot of the Viewport I am publishing, and another a portion of the published PDF.

Just tried trashing preferences to no avail.

Andrew

Screenshot 2019-01-14 at 22.33.55.png

Screenshot 2019-01-14 at 22.33.44.png

Hi Andrew. I looked quickly at your file and I couldn't find any symbols that I couldn't select on the Welcome Reception Hired Furniture Layer. But as you say many of the symbols have 2d geometry on a 3d plane in the 3d part of the symbol.

I ran the custom plugin mentioned previously which converted all 2d objects in the whole file to screen plane. It seems to work on objects inside symbols too. This was very quick! 

Attached your file with everything stripped out except the Welcome Reception Hired Furniture Layer. See if this resolves the odd behavior.

Bo

GWC2018 - EMEA - v014-test.vwx