Why is GTX better than Quadro Graphics card

Jim Wilson, I have a question concerning GPU for Vectorworks.   I know you have said in the past that a GPU such as a 1070ti or 1080 will out perform a Quadro P4000 (both w/ 8GB of VRAM).   Could you give details about how/what areas a GTX performs better?   I do a combination of detailed light Rendering (Renderworks) (20% work load) and OpenGL in constructing large 3D models for scenic engineering plans and analysis (80% work load)   on minimum 3 monitors.

Also, is the trend of preferring GTX line VS Quadro line one that Vectorworks will likely continue for the next two releases?

I currently run a XEON 8 core chip with 64 GB of RAM on a SSD, but am deciding on whether to sell two pieces of hardware and to invest in a 1070 TI vs Quadro P4000 (money is not an issue here).

Thanks!!!

GTX is better for VW because it is cheaper.

As VW doesn't make any use of any special Quadro functions.

These are mainly in enhanced Drivers only. Like a special 3DSMax or NX driver and such.

So if Quadro features not being used it is is ok to go with cheaper GTX Gaming cards with

their artificially limited drivers. Normally Gaming Cards are faster than Pro cards as they

use higher clock speeds.

The Pro cards have mostly the same hardware and chip architecture as Gaming versions.

But Pro Cards often offer more VRAM than the GTX, for those who rely on.

The manufacturers claim that the chips used in Pro cards are kind of cherry picked and

a better optimized for reliability or cooling. They often don't waste as much PCIe Slots

as GTX where 3 Slot heights are pretty common today.

Games have other needs than 3D Software. GTX are optimized for max FPS in todays

Games. For 3D Apps there may be different priorities. So beside the chip itself there

may be also peripheral hardware differences like different memory bandwidths and such.

(Looks like AMD cards are generally weaker in Games than NVidia but shine in Pro Apps)

The drivers may offer different API calls and take away unneeded functions for different

needs.

So for VW especially it is just not really worth to pay double the price for neglect-able gains.

While for some other 3D Pro Apps Pro cards are mandatory or they even refuse any support.

I use many 3D Pro Apps and none of them does really make of or recommends the use

of Pro GPUs.

If costs are really no issue, I personally would prefer Quadros or AMD's W series though.

The GTX just work.

The Quadros have 2 driver options + settings.

As far as I remember, one of these combinations didn't work that well for VW.

And I have never seen any direct comparison for VW, if any of the Pro Cards

had any benefits anywhere.

For the large majority of VW users the standard Gaming Cards are the best solution.

Best bang for the buck and possible less problems.

• Like 1

Read line 2 of; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_Quadro

There it states; "The GPU chips on Quadro-branded graphics cards are identical to the ones used on GeForce-branded graphics cards. The end products (i.e. the graphics card) differ substantially in their provided graphics device drivers and available professional support for the software."

I run 2x 1070's in my machine and they're great with VW. Bear in mind that VW only uses one of them, but I put the other one to rendering video or 3ds max files in the background, so my VW experience is always up to speed.

The 1070 will only help with the 3d modelling process. The renderworks renders are done on CPU so they won't benefit.

but @zoomer is right. the main difference is drivers. The link above explains why