Adding Plants to Plant Catelog

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

In answer to your first question, you can either make up a template with a plant catalog or import the symbol folder named "system folder" from a previous job (which will bring in all the plants and symbols from that job).

As to the second, we'll look into a way of requiring a less demanding review of plant data to define a plant (in a future version). The Plant Reference Database interface is designed to allow you to review and edit plant data. You're correct that you shouldn't necessarily have to review all the plant data just to pick a specific plant for a plant definition. However, I would see this as being able to browse plant names from the Define Plant dialog (which still needs your input as to symbols, etc.) rather than doing it from the Plant Reference database dialog.

I'm not sure I'm going about this the "correct" or logical way.

I have set up a template that fits the majority of the projects I plan to do.

In that template file I'd like to add all the plants I typically use to the Plant Category file. This way they are all there when/if I need them in the future.

Is this a logical use of a template? Or will I so load up the Plant Catelog that it becomes unwieldly?

If this is a logical idea, is there an easier way of migrating the plant data from the Plant Database for the plants that I need into the Plant Catelog? If not, it will take me days to work my way through this process as it takes a number of keystrokes and insertion of data for each plant.

As a thought, it would be very helpful to have a checkbox in the Plant Database that automatically added each selected plant to the Plant Catelog. Regarding varying spreads/heights; perhaps an average could be used unless overritten by the user?

Thanks in advance.

Marshall