Revit import, large file

Hi,

I am having issues importing revit files into vectoroworks. When I import the files it imports as a 2D/3D object, however the object doesn't have a texture, so I try the convert the Revit entity into an auto hybrib and the process buffers for an extremely long time.

Is there a simpler more manageable way to handle Revit files in Vectorworks? And reduce the file size?

Thanks,

Sam

@hepburngc Hi Graham,

This is how I import the file...

image.thumb.png.a29807533b68f020603aa1e106bec29d.png

And then the result is this...

image.thumb.png.0ec9e807319b7a4782302d9d4956d161.png

However, it only provides me with a 2D view of the Revit model and then I go inside of the symbol and I try and create an auto hybrid, but it buffers for a very long time.

image.thumb.png.06490c0dbf82c06a3ebe4c2a928b8630.png

I can see the potenially for it to be a 3D object, but the model has no texture and the mesh lines make it very complex.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers,

Sam

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by sam@pcd

Hello Sam,

I'm also trying to import IFC files, but don't seem to have the option you are working on, perhaps it is not available on the 2019 Fundamentals version I am running. Perhaps you could get the source file exported into an .IGS or other format which would import better? Good luck.

Cheers Graham

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Thanks for the file, Sam.

Do you know if this product is available in any other file formats to download?

I tried importing this and the geometry comes in a bit distorted and has a lot over unnecessary complex geometry. I would try other CAD file formats before trying to use this.

Assuming you're using Vectorworks 2019:

Generally, what I would do is create a symbol of the object. The Revit import did come in as a symbol, so that step is taken care of. Assuming only 3D geometry imported (as in this case), I would then edit the 3D component and clean up anything I can. With mesh geometry like this file, this is not an easy task. Once I have the 3D cleaned up, I'd edit the Top 2D component, right-click in the background and choose the "Generate 2D from 3D Component" context menu command. If you have good clean 3D geometry, this command should generate a good 2D graphics that you can further edit to suit you needs. If you have meshes, the results may not be so great. In the case of the attached Revit file, Vectorworks could not manage to create any 2D graphics from it. Judging from the 3D mesh, I'm not surprised. If you can find a better file format to import, give the steps above a try.