Changing From Decimal to Fractional Inches Causes Existing Dims To Display Oddly

GlueDT92

Question

In the attached file, the unit rounding style is currently set to decimal, but I want to change that to fractional. However, when I change to fractional my existing dimensions in Viewport 1 freak out & start displaying in strange formats (i.e. 25'-6.25" turns into 2.5520833333333e01 instead of 25'-6 1/4"). Can anyone tell me what's going on & if there is a way to make that change without having to recreate all of the existing dimensions in my file? 

Thanks!

Simon

Dimensions.vwx

Edited by GlueDT92

2 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

After setting the document units to fractional display, select the dimensions and notice the "Prec" setting in the Object Info palette is blank. Set it to something reasonable and it should work.

You might ask why this happened in the first place? Well, It looks like the dimensions were placed using decimal display with the display "Prec" set to the maximum. After changing the document units, it appears that Vectorworks is not assigning it an appropriate fractional value and it remains blank. When this happens, it displays in that format. From what I see, when using decimal document units, keeping the display precision at ".000001" or lower will prevent this from happening.

I will report this bug.

• Like 2
On 1/9/2019 at 9:30 AM, Matt Panzer said:

After setting the document units to fractional display, select the dimensions and notice the "Prec" setting in the Object Info palette is blank. Set it to something reasonable and it should work.

You might ask why this happened in the first place? Well, It looks like the dimensions were placed using decimal display with the display "Prec" set to the maximum. After changing the document units, it appears that Vectorworks is not assigning it an appropriate fractional value and it remains blank. When this happens, it displays in that format. From what I see, when using decimal document units, keeping the display precision at ".000001" or lower will prevent this from happening.

I will report this bug.

Thanks Matt! This seems to have worked. Much appreciated.

Simon