Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Date function - data structure changed in 2019?

LarryO

Has anyone else noticed that with VW2019 that the separators on the Mac platform have changed from forward slash "/ " to hyphen "-"?

Also Date(2,0); VW2019 generates yy-mm-dd where as VW2013 generated mm/dd/yy on the same MacBook Pro.

Did the function get tweeked to generate the same output regardless of MAC/PC platform?

If so, would have been nice to also make the month and day always generate 2 digits.

PCs generated hyphens and MACs forward slashes. I don't recall it ever being system setting sensitive but it was definitely platform sensitive.

Along with file access, date function limitations were a big incentive to develop python support.  

Even if you're not ready to make the jump to python, PythonExecute will let you run python from within vs and take advantage of the date and time functions.  If your script is not encrypted, use Set/GetVSVar to pass data between vs and python.  If it is encrypted, you will have to use the string repository (Rpstr_…) to pass values, which is still fairly easy.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Guys, when the office finally gets my new workstation purchased I think I will invest a little more time fixing the script behind the company's titleblock. The Python call sounds like something worth figuring out. Its always been a pain making two subroutines simply because the data arrives differently between MAC & PC's.

The next task after this is to hopefully get a few more Unicode character glyphs printing on the new PC's. I'm losing my MAC in the upgrade but gaining VW2019. For some apparent reason boxes, check marks and almost equal were easy to type and print on the MAC but seemingly impossible on a PC running VW2015. check marks would display but never print and I couldn't even get my PC laptop to display almost equal in VW2013 dimensions.