Haydenovative

Speaker Tools

Heya Team,

I'm trying to create a library file for all of our speakers and line array elements that can be shared between multiple users. Can anyone point me in the location of the library file created after saving individual speaker settings please? The knowledge base article says it is in Vectorworks20xx/libraries but alas I cant see it in an audio tools folder at all. 

here http://app-help.vectorworks.net/2018/eng/VW2018_Guide/EventDesign2/Inserting_Speakers_and_Speaker_Arrays.htm

Secondly, I can create names and models with specifications for line array elements, but within the settings of the speaker tool all naming conventions are greyed out, has anyone seen a decent tutorial on building and sharing these libraries? I'm stumped. Thanks in advance!

Posted (edited)

On my machine it is:

C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Nemetschek\Vectorworks\2019\Libraries\Defaults\Audio Tools

I've taken to just editing the XML file contained there as I've had a few issues with 'save type to library'

Edited by Mike Wright

I have located the .xml file located in the location specified in the manual (attached) and copied that and shared it with a colleague. They have replaced the file in the same location on their machine and they do not see the speakers I have created within the audio array tool. Am I missing a step?

Library File.PNG

Hayden -

2 things to try:

1)  On each computer, open VW and find the "User Folders" tab in the "Vectorworks Preferences" dialog.  The "User Data and Preferences Folder" shown @ the top is the folder that will contain the "Libraries/Defaults/Audio Tools" folder.  Regardless of whether the locations' structures match 100% on the 2 computers, the XML file in the "Audio Tools" folder should.

2)  On each computer, open VW and place an AudioBox 2 or Speaker instance.  Save a new speaker to the Library (a speaker that you can delete later).  On both computers, do a search on your HDD for the XML file w. today's date.  Replace the file you found on the "target" computer w. the one you found on the "source" computer.

Does any of this help???

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 3:17 AM, Mike Wright said:

I've taken to just editing the XML file contained there as I've had a few issues with 'save type to library'

What issues have you had??

That's Great, I have found the file in user folders and it moves across just fine now thank you.

New problem. In trying to create new speaker boxes, L'acoustics - Kara specifically, when I fill in all of the parameters, horizontal dispersion at 110° and weight at 26kg I save the speaker type and overwrite the old file, exit and return to the speaker array tool it has changed the dispersion back to 90° and the weight back to 90kg every time. do I need to be in administrator mode or change the saving method in some way?

Regarding your latest forum post...:

- I'm not sure what is going on @ your end in terms of weight.  I couldn't replicate the issue.  Would you mind trying again and, if things still don't work, sending me a demo file that shows the issue?

- Regarding the Dispersion issue, I found the issue and will get a fix out ASAP - at least, for the Landru version of the tool.  I'm not sure when VW will be able to get theirs out.

@C. Andrew Dunning As Haydenovative I've had weights keep defaulting back to 90kg.  I've not created any new speakers or bumpers for a while but will shout if I can replicate it

Thanks, gents.

I've been able to replicate the 90° dispersion issue.  Until we can get an adjustment out, use AudioBox 2 or Speaker to create speaker Library entries w. dispersions wider than 90°.

I'm not able to replicate the weight issues w. either the Landru or Spotlight versions of the tools.  If you have any files that show this and care to share, feel free to PM me.

50 minutes ago, Haydenovative said:

I shall fire you over a file shortly.

When you do...if you were to use the Landru version of the tools...I could chase the issue a LOT easier...