Speaker Tools

Heya Team,

I'm trying to create a library file for all of our speakers and line array elements that can be shared between multiple users. Can anyone point me in the location of the library file created after saving individual speaker settings please? The knowledge base article says it is in Vectorworks20xx/libraries but alas I cant see it in an audio tools folder at all. 

here http://app-help.vectorworks.net/2018/eng/VW2018_Guide/EventDesign2/Inserting_Speakers_and_Speaker_Arrays.htm

Secondly, I can create names and models with specifications for line array elements, but within the settings of the speaker tool all naming conventions are greyed out, has anyone seen a decent tutorial on building and sharing these libraries? I'm stumped. Thanks in advance!

Hayden -

2 things to try:

1)  On each computer, open VW and find the "User Folders" tab in the "Vectorworks Preferences" dialog.  The "User Data and Preferences Folder" shown @ the top is the folder that will contain the "Libraries/Defaults/Audio Tools" folder.  Regardless of whether the locations' structures match 100% on the 2 computers, the XML file in the "Audio Tools" folder should.

2)  On each computer, open VW and place an AudioBox 2 or Speaker instance.  Save a new speaker to the Library (a speaker that you can delete later).  On both computers, do a search on your HDD for the XML file w. today's date.  Replace the file you found on the "target" computer w. the one you found on the "source" computer.

Does any of this help???

That's Great, I have found the file in user folders and it moves across just fine now thank you.

New problem. In trying to create new speaker boxes, L'acoustics - Kara specifically, when I fill in all of the parameters, horizontal dispersion at 110° and weight at 26kg I save the speaker type and overwrite the old file, exit and return to the speaker array tool it has changed the dispersion back to 90° and the weight back to 90kg every time. do I need to be in administrator mode or change the saving method in some way?

Regarding your latest forum post...:

- I'm not sure what is going on @ your end in terms of weight.  I couldn't replicate the issue.  Would you mind trying again and, if things still don't work, sending me a demo file that shows the issue?

- Regarding the Dispersion issue, I found the issue and will get a fix out ASAP - at least, for the Landru version of the tool.  I'm not sure when VW will be able to get theirs out.

Thanks, gents.

I've been able to replicate the 90° dispersion issue.  Until we can get an adjustment out, use AudioBox 2 or Speaker to create speaker Library entries w. dispersions wider than 90°.

I'm not able to replicate the weight issues w. either the Landru or Spotlight versions of the tools.  If you have any files that show this and care to share, feel free to PM me.

• 1 year later...

Add a new ressource to Speaker ou Array tool :

1- In VWX, go to Preferences/User folders/choose Reveal in finder
Leave the window open and close VWX

2- In the open window, go to 2020/Librairies/Defaults/AudioTools

3- In this window, locate the XML file. If the file does not exist, ignore this step. If it exists, make a safety copy of this file somewhere in your computer, for safety. Once this backup done, delete the file. Leave this window open, we'll come back to it.

4- Go to the application folder (in Applications on Mac, and Program Files on Windows)

5- Go to Libraries/Objects -Ent Audio/

6- In this folder, choose the items you want to add to the Speaker tools (speakers and bumpers only), copy them in the same folder above: climb back to 2020/Librairies/Defaults/AudioTools/Speakers (AND-OR /Bumpers)

7- Open VWX, go to the Resource Manager, click on the wheel and choose "Refresh Libraries".

8- In VWX open a new document. Go to menu File/Documents & Settings/Units and choose Millimeters (necessary one-time step that needs to be done only once in order for VWX to add the imported elements at the right scale in the database)

9- Go to the Speaker Tool, and place a "generic" speaker in the drawing.

10- Select the speaker, then in Object Info palette choose Type, then Import. 
HERE THE STEP OF THE CHOICES: repeat this Import with each speaker you wish to import. They will now appear in the ressources of the tools.
DONE !

Then, for line arrays, a similar operation is to be performed to add the manufacturer's bumpers: 

11- Choose the Array tool. Add a generic bumper. Click Ok. Select the generic bumper, go to  Object Info, then configure Array, and finally here the "import" button is available in the Type of bumpers. Choose the desired bumpers, one by one.

12- Add each bumper one by one, they will now appear in you ressources.

DONE !

Edited by DeJaVu

Well-explained...

3 things:

1. There is no reason to delete the XML file in the main Application folder.  In fact, once you've added any elements to the tools' Library/Catalog, the tools ignore that file and use one placed in your User folder.  And, if you delete the XML file in your User folder, you'll lose any elements you've already added.
  2. Changing the Units to mm only applies if a) the "source" Symbols were created using an out-dated Record format (w/o Units) - or, if the Symbols were never updated to the current format - and b) mm were assumed when those Symbols were created.  (The Record format version issue is where 99.999% of users have problems.)
  3. Both the 2021 version of the tools and the Landru Design version (for any VW version 2018 or newer) give you the option of inserting Symbol geometry directly in addition to or instead of adding Symbol data to the Library/Catalog.

1 hour ago, C. Andrew Dunning said:

Well-explained...

3 things:

1. There is no reason to delete the XML file in the main Application folder.  In fact, once you've added any elements to the tools' Library/Catalog, the tools ignore that file and use one placed in your User folder.  And, if you delete the XML file in your User folder, you'll lose any elements you've already added.
  2. Changing the Units to mm only applies if a) the "source" Symbols were created using an out-dated Record format (w/o Units) - or, if the Symbols were never updated to the current format - and b) mm were assumed when those Symbols were created.  (The Record format version issue is where 99.999% of users have problems.)
  3. Both the 2021 version of the tools and the Landru Design version (for any VW version 2018 or newer) give you the option of inserting Symbol geometry directly in addition to or instead of adding Symbol data to the Library/Catalog.

Edited the post, adding an advice to backup the xml file first before. (Most people only need only to perform this process after a fresh installation..)

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...