Raked Hanging Position Truss

2 hours ago, pmorrill said:

I am struggling with the raking of the individual trusses in 3D for Client  and keeping a good 2D plot for Shop.

This is also my struggle in trying to have this workflow function. People keep telling to just use the straight truss tool instead since it's easier to use. 

Each truss will need to be on an individual and specific design layer. Create a viewport of each layer and place that on your standard design layer. When you are done you should have five specific truss layers and five viewports on your standard drawing layer. Now go to to your standard drawing layer, select each view port, one at a time, rotate, and position regarding X, Y and Z values. That will create your model. 

For your plan view, there are two ways to do this:

1- layout all your truss objects in their respective design layers exactly as they would be installed on site. If you do that, you just need to add these specific layers to your sheet layer viewport. Simple as that. Quick tip if you are using this method;  draw everything (or at least your trusses) on your standard layer exactly as installed first. Once completed, simply select each truss and move to it’s respective viewport via the object info palette. Easy. 

2- draw the various trusses however you want on their design layers. Create a second plan view viewport of the structure and put that in your output sheet layer and then slide them about for your printing purposss. 

The first way is often the best, however, it is not unusual that you would have to do individual VP into your print outputs regardless because one production piece being above another, that sort of thing. 

Hope that helps. 

One other note: When you create your viewport, go find it on your standard design layer (whatever layer that might be), select it and in the object info palette, select CLASSES.  At the bottom of the window there is a little check box with a tag that reads "use current document's class visibilities".  You will ABSOLUTELY want to check that as it then allows your viewports to behave like every other piece of your drawing.  Turn off the truss class and the VP truss turns off.  Turn on the lights class and the VP lights will appear (or maybe the won't, but that is a "REFRESH INSTRUMENTS" issue that can happen to anything....I digress).  When I first started using DLVPs I never noticed that one little check box and I was frustrated ALL the time.  Once I figured that out, all was right with the world.  

Screen Shot 2019-02-01 at 4.54.00 PM.png

• Like 1

I find it doesn’t really matter. Here is what I try to do:

If it is a position that is going to be represented in place in a 2D drawing, I’ll try to draw it in place to avoid additional viewports on a sheet layer. This would be something like a pod or a raked truss. 

If it is a vertical truss or torm/boom kind of thing, then the 2D representation is going to be somewhere else on the drawing anyway so I may just draw that on centerline and viewport it into a sheet layer for printing after the fact. 

Has anyone run into 2019 losing the rotation of these DLVPs after closing and re-opening the drawing?  (saving before closing of course)   Happens every time and is about to send me on a homicidal rampage.   If I load from a recent backup file in VW Backup, it regenerates correctly.   But again,  opens wrong even when re-saving the backup over the master drawing.   See below.   These were vertical towers before closing.

image.thumb.png.5168170926c37e847d386e4e70872da8.png

@Wesley Burrows  

Damn, that sounds frustrating! I haven't fully moved over to VW2019 yet, but I just tried adding a few truss and fixtures to a blank file, made a DLVP & rotated, saved & reopened it, and didn't see any problems.

I'd file a report with VW and send them your file. They may find a bug that can be fixed.

Occasionally when I come across some weirdness like that, I try and copy over the offending parts of the model into a new file and see if my issue still occurs. If it doesn't, I copy the contents of each design layer one by one into a new file. You won't be able to copy sheet layers or viewports between files, so those will need to be recreated. But it least it may be a workaround to your current problem.

Edited by LJ TMS
  • Like 1

Update:   After multiple profanity laden tirades that probably changed my 3 year old daughters life forever.   Smashing some inanimate objects,  and pacing around like a psychopath, I discovered if I save in a 3D view (num pad 5 in this case)  and re-open it holds the correct rotations.   If I save in Top/Plan,   it all goes to hell.   what. the. actual. F.

Edited by Wesley Burrows
  • Confused 1
4 minutes ago, Wesley Burrows said:

Update:   After multiple profanity laden tirades that probably changed my 3 year old daughters life forever.   Smashing some inanimate objects,  and pacing around like a psychopath, I discovered if I save in a 3D view (num pad 5 in this case)  and re-open it holds the correct rotations.   If I save in Top/Plan,   it all goes to hell.   what. the. actual. F.

Lol, wow I hate stuff like that! Well at least you found an easy enough workaround.

I just checked my test file and I'm not seeing that issue regardless what view I save in. I'd definitely forward that to VW so they can take a look.

1 minute ago, LJ TMS said:

Lol, wow I hate stuff like that! Well at least you found an easy enough workaround.

I just checked my test file and I'm not seeing that issue regardless what view I save in. I'd definitely forward that to VW so they can take a look.

That's for checkin!   I'll definitely get with VW Support.   This crap always shows up when I'm staring face first at a deadline for submitting something.   Never fails.     Say Hi to Mark C. Audra, Mario and others!   (I worked at TMS years ago in a previous life)

3 hours ago, Wesley Burrows said:

That's for checkin!   I'll definitely get with VW Support.   This crap always shows up when I'm staring face first at a deadline for submitting something.   Never fails.     Say Hi to Mark C. Audra, Mario and others!   (I worked at TMS years ago in a previous life)

Hey that's awesome, I'll definitely let them know you said hi! How long ago did you work at TMS? I've been here going on 12 years, although I'm always working away in my cave so rarely get to talk to majority of the people that work here, lol.

Edit: Mario told me to let you know he misses you.

Edited by LJ TMS
  • Like 1
20 hours ago, LJ TMS said:

Hey that's awesome, I'll definitely let them know you said hi! How long ago did you work at TMS? I've been here going on 12 years, although I'm always working away in my cave so rarely get to talk to majority of the people that work here, lol.

Edit: Mario told me to let you know he misses you.

Good people there for sure.   I was there 2003/2004.    Mario was one of my favorite dudes!     Learned a lot from Him,  Finley,  Heath,  Ray Ray,  Laird,  Scottie.   Everyone really.

Also FWIW tech support contacted me back acknowledging that it's not working as intended and submitted to engineering for a fix.    It's related to truss objects (insert truss tool).   When I've used DLVP's previously in 2019, but so far I was displaying scaffolding and light ladder positions and didn't run into this problem.  I don't know that it's problem with the PIO truss tool.

-W

Edited by Wesley Burrows
  • Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Hi Folks

Ok thanks this thread has been really helpful and I have my head around DLVP and raked trusses etc. But it has raised a few questions with spotlight rendering. FYI I also have my head around rendering but not a master so hopefully I have just missed something along my work flow.

I thought it would be as simple as drawing my plot as normal, adding focus points and gobo info etc etc. Then creating the raked trusses with DLVP and then rendering lighting scenes and hey presto I would get what I was looking for from the DLVP raked trusses. But no it only renders the lighting scene from the straight trusses that the DLVP are created from.

In basic terms can I use a DLVP for viewing spotlight rendering?

Thank you

A couple of things. 

Wesley, I too have run into the “all hell breaks loose if I did a final save in top/plan view” bug. I’ve never had it happen before but it but me hard on a project a couple of months ago. 

LX1, you should place all of your focus points on your “master drawing layer” or whatever layer you use for standard drawing. Do not place focus points on your DLVP layer. You should now be able to focus your instruments in the DLVP. The fixtures will mostly likely be below 0 but will still attempt to focus where they should. Once you are back in your standard drawing layer your viewport fixtures should point correctly at the focus position without an issue

I will say that I have seen some oddities when using the rotate fixture options from the OIP. I’ve always felt that every fixture symbol should have a hanging version, a floor version and a yoked out version so as not to need to utilize the rotation feature. It also solves the problem of accurate 2D representations of yoked out fixtures. All my custom fixtures are made this way, but when I have to use Spotlight fixtures, I have run into some issues because of this. 

On 6/13/2019 at 3:24 PM, Rob Books said:

with over 5000 fixtures now in the libraries, that would triple the number of fixtures, and probably grind the RM to a halt when going through them all.

Not to mention on our end to remember to change all different versions if a fix is needed.  This is why I pushed years ago to get rid of the Imperial/Metric versions that we kept as separate libraries.

I totally understand that and agree that it would be pretty unreasonable at this point. 

On 6/13/2019 at 8:58 PM, scottmoore said:

LX1, you should place all of your focus points on your “master drawing layer” or whatever layer you use for standard drawing. Do not place focus points on your DLVP layer. You should now be able to focus your instruments in the DLVP. The fixtures will mostly likely be below 0 but will still attempt to focus where they should. Once you are back in your standard drawing layer your viewport fixtures should point correctly at the focus position without an issue

Thanks Scottmoore

I had worked out the focus points and after a little patients during rendering I have the DLVP rendering scenes.

👍🏻

• 3 years later...

I used to use this method a lot a few years ago, but since Hanging Positions can rake I haven't used them in some time..However now in VWX2023 I'm trying to do something similar with a 2D/3D symbol and after I create the DLVP and rotate, it throws the hybrid symbol error.

I also tried it with truss like I used to just for fun and I get the same error. Has anything changed in recent versions of VWX not allowing this to work?

image.thumb.png.dd21618ad2ef399d6dadb5f54408cf4f.pngimage.thumb.png.0cbbe4ecd91d220bf39ee7f6dbd04c17.png

Edited by stevenmorgan94

I'm on the 2023 VW and struggling with some identical issues with the raked truss.

I can tilt the truss:
- Select RightView
- Use the rotate tool

However after that I can no longer add or move fixtures or hoits, I can't even select the truss in the TOP/PLAN view.

Creating a projected view of the truss (which I think is what you call a DLVP), I can't insert the engines in the correct place because I can't see the DWG of the "House Grid".

However, now I need to change some fixtures and it looks like my truss is no longer a Hanging point.

I've been trying to deal with this problem for three weeks now.

On 1/31/2023 at 11:18 AM, stevenmorgan94 said:

I used to use this method a lot a few years ago, but since Hanging Positions can rake I haven't used them in some time..However now in VWX2023 I'm trying to do something similar with a 2D/3D symbol and after I create the DLVP and rotate, it throws the hybrid symbol error.

I also tried it with truss like I used to just for fun and I get the same error. Has anything changed in recent versions of VWX not allowing this to work?

image.thumb.png.dd21618ad2ef399d6dadb5f54408cf4f.pngimage.thumb.png.0cbbe4ecd91d220bf39ee7f6dbd04c17.png

If I remember right you have to have a lighting device in that DLVP for it to allow you to rotate it.

A few years later, the solution for exporting to visualizers is simply to export the design layers from which the DLVPs are generated independently. 

To the question of naming conventions, I have some prefix information that is unique to my workflow but now call both the layers and classes DLVP 01 thru DLVP 10. I add a bit of specific detailed naming after once I’ve determined what one might be used for on a specific project. Works pretty well and I still find it quite intuitive vs schematic views. 

• 2 months later...

I want a perpendicular view from raked truss's and after search a little bit I found this post and the next tutorial on  VW University:
WORKING WITH VERTICAL OR RAKED HANGING POSITIONS

(the audio is not the best but i try understand.)

At 31:21, the former tell us "the key is no longer make the truss a hanging position...".

Well...
Some questions:
What we lose for dont convert the system in a hanging position?
What we win for convert the system in a hanging position?
(probabbly this is a noob question but when I start, all tutorials refering the convercion of tha truss system in a hanging positions is the correct workflow.

I alreade have my system converted in a hanging position, there is some process to return for a simple truss system?

Another question:
After I create a Schematic View, some of my fixtures change the color:

Raked Truss:
image.png.6fd14e27a8166cc67a59ffaa8d05502e.png

Schematic View:
The Auras should be blue (I edit the 2D componente)
image.thumb.png.418a1d430d33d619b639d68d1786678a.png

H
ow I can include the hoists on Schematic View Representation?

Edited by Cristiano Alves

Great question on this workflow.

I can answer how to convert hanging position back to truss system. Ungroup (Ctrl+U and whatever it is on MAC) hanging position. If you have option to Show Name seleced on hanging position you get two objects, text for Name and group with trusses. If you don't have Show Name option selected you get just your trusses.