Jab_be

Help for my first subdivision !

Hello,

I never used subdivision tool.  Now I think it's the best way to create an organic hedge..  The  start shape is in the file attached.  I would like to create a solid similar to the image below.

It seems to be simple but I can't create this.  Or Subdivision is not the best way??

And I'm not a beginner in VW... :-)

Thanks for help!

ed4973b427f782aca3bbc3aeff50e7f1.thumb.jpg.3f9f999fa9895b304598d795ac36ba76.jpg

Help hedge.vwx

I think the Subdivision tool is a great choice for this. Here's a quick example. I started from a cube Subdivision primitive and extruded extra segments using the Subdivision tools, aligning each face (rotate and align) before extruding the next segment. I used your extrude as a guide while working. When you turn up the iterations and adjust the creased edges you'll get the shape you want. It could be further refined by adding variation in height/width etc..

Kevin

1591437141_ScreenShot2019-01-07at4_23_53PM.thumb.png.962677080e9e491e735ae11d1fbc533c.png

Help hedge.vwx

Cool!  You gave me the start point I wanted!  Now I understand.

To be sure : For the second form, more organic, did you started from a sphere Subdivion primitive ?

Thank you!

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Jab_be said:

To be sure : For the second form, more organic, did you started from a sphere Subdivion primitive ?

They are both copies of the same subdivision object. I roughed out the form with it set to zero iterations in the OIP. Once I was ready to adjust the creasing I bumped it up to 3 iterations. Its much easier to start with rectangular / cubic geometry. The sphere geometry will be hard to extrude from. Its the creasing that adjusts how organic an object is and still allows it to sit flat on the ground plane.

Kevin

Edited by Kevin McAllister
  • Like 1

Magic!

I didn't noticed differents iterations on OIP between both copies.  I'ts so simple! 

Thanks!