Page Sizes in Page Setup

Parker Battle

Question

After updating to 2019, when I choose page size unavailable in page setup, All the paper sizes are weird. ARCH D is 35.5 x 23.19, ARCH C is 23.5 x 17.19, ASME A is 10.5 x 7.69, etc. I have looked around at different xml files trying to see if those values are in there somewhere, no luck. Any idea on where those values come from and why they are off?

Thanks!

13 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I setup Custom Page sizes with no margins for each size needed. I then set Page Setup to "Any Printer" and choose the custom size I want. I do this so my exported PDF files are created with pages without margins being trimmed off. Mind you, I don't typically print projects directly from Vectorworks. I publish to PDF and print from that if needed. I do this to ensure what I print matches what I send to the client or printing service (PDF).

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Matt Panzer said:

I setup Custom Page sizes with no margins for each size needed. I then set Page Setup to "Any Printer" and choose the custom size I want. I do this so my exported PDF files are created with pages without margins being trimmed off. Mind you, I don't typically print projects directly from Vectorworks. I publish to PDF and print from that if needed. I do this to ensure what I print matches what I send to the client or printing service (PDF).

^ this is my workflow too. It works well.

Kevin

mm. I'm super happy setting up A3 pages that are 407.4mm x 284.3mm.. I've obviously been operating under some false ideas of standard paper sizes.
Hint. Generally (i.e. every other package) paper sizes are set to standards, and margins are subtracted from it based on printer settings. Foolish humans, obviously its best to specify pages by printable areas rather than industry standards. It makes for hilarious conversations when trying to teach others.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, nick@e8urban said:

mm. I'm super happy setting up A3 pages that are 407.4mm x 284.3mm.. I've obviously been operating under some false ideas of standard paper sizes.
Hint. Generally (i.e. every other package) paper sizes are set to standards, and margins are subtracted from it based on printer settings. Foolish humans, obviously its best to specify pages by printable areas rather than industry standards. It makes for hilarious conversations when trying to teach others.

Hello @nick@e8urban,

If I understand correctly, you want to see the actual standard size in the Page Setup dialog and you have no issues with the created page size after closing the Page Setup dialog, as it is created now?

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

Incorrect.

I like specifying actual page sizes that exist in the real world and are understood by graphic designers, print shops et al. across the globe. Having worked peripherally to these industries for my professional life I understand that the printable area is a clipped area within the bounds of a standard page. What is not helpful is infinite different 'page sizes' based on the printable area of every printer in the world. especially when those infinite 'page sizes' all refer to the same size page standard (i.e. in this case A3).

A3 should always be expressed as 420 x 576mm, halved to A4, doubled to A2 etc etc etc.

Do you think its better the way it is in VW? What benefit could it possibly have in communicating to anyone else in the world but a VW user?

8 hours ago, nick@e8urban said:

Incorrect.

I like specifying actual page sizes that exist in the real world and are understood by graphic designers, print shops et al. across the globe. Having worked peripherally to these industries for my professional life I understand that the printable area is a clipped area within the bounds of a standard page. What is not helpful is infinite different 'page sizes' based on the printable area of every printer in the world. especially when those infinite 'page sizes' all refer to the same size page standard (i.e. in this case A3).

A3 should always be expressed as 420 x 576mm, halved to A4, doubled to A2 etc etc etc.

Do you think its better the way it is in VW? What benefit could it possibly have in communicating to anyone else in the world but a VW user?

- I think we are talking about the same thing. Could you take a look at the image below and let me know if the suggested solution is what you are looking for?

изображение.png

Thanks,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

15 hours ago, nick@e8urban said:

A3 is 420x297 mm.

Folding an Ax format will give a Ax+1 Format - but by flipping its aspect ratio.

(Landscape to Portrait)

Basically it is an intermediate format while you will get half length/width

by choosing Ax+2, like from A3 to A5

7 hours ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

Could you take a look at the image below and let me know if the suggested solution is what you are looking for?

What I don't get are the values below "Pages",

and why when edited, will destroy my printable area settings.

It can be useful to show printable size, as we know our Ax sizes already well,

when it has a proper description.

It does show correct Paper dimensions for me, like A3, when I have non-printer

Format activated.

If it isn't described as "Printable Area", and shows strange values after selecting

an Ax Format - I would immediately think someone thinking in imperial units

made a mistake in Software for translation to real units.

On 1/7/2019 at 1:59 PM, Matt Panzer said:

Matt, does this not give you problems with people printing at 100% and having stuff chopped off by printers that need a large margin? Or do you add a margin to you title block border?

2 hours ago, Christiaan said:

Matt, does this not give you problems with people printing at 100% and having stuff chopped off by printers that need a large margin? Or do you add a margin to you title block border?

I add my own fixed margin to the border.  In my work, I almost always published PDF files to send out to clients and/or printing services.  I also published PDF files and would print from them for myself.  One reason for this is to make sure what I see is what the client will see.  I cannot remember that last time I actually printed directly from Vectorworks.

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

I hope you can help me out here. I am experiencing a problem Publishing my Sheets from Vectorworks. When I am in Sheets, my title block fits perfectly within the white paper space of the sheet. However, when I publish it, part of it jumps onto a next page. Somehow it does not happen to all the Sheets in the document, but only to some. I also noticed that when I choose for A3 in my page set up, it gives me a 1.02:1.02 aspect ratio (so, not 1:1 as it would usually be. When I set my ratio to 1:1, thr page size gets smaller, which does not help my problem either. 

Would any of you be able to help me with this?

Thank you in advance! 

Polina

Check the printer setup for those sheets. Some printers can not print all the way to the edge of the page. If you select one of those printers then the printable area will be smaller than you think. Perhaps use the "Choose Size Unavailable in Printer Setup" option so you can specify the printable area. But if you do, you may not be able to actually print what you have drawn to the edge of the page.

It might be better to determine the margins of your printer and use that as the actual maximum drawing size.

• Like 1